A vegan Mediterranean-inspired Three Bean Salad recipe with lemon-garlic dressing and fresh herbs. So satisfying and filled with protein and fiber. Plus it's a great make-ahead dish for picnics, potlucks, meal prep, and take-along lunches! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free option.)
This Mediterranean-style bean salad is filled with bright, fresh flavors.
It combines a three bean medley of kidney beans, black beans, and garbanzo beans which are a good source of protein and fiber.
Then it is tossed with a lemon dressing and fresh herbs. (Plus cucumber and tomato to help hydrate and refresh!)
Ingredients for Mediterranean Bean Salad
For this recipe you will toss together in a large bowl:
- Red kidney beans + garbanzo beans (chickpeas) + black beans
- Roma tomato: Or you can substitute grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes for a richer, sweeter flavor.
- Red onion: Or use green onion for a milder taste.
- Cucumber: Most of the time I use hothouse/English cucumbers because they are often more flavorful and have a thin peel. However, garden cucumbers work well too.
- Fresh parsley + fresh cilantro: Or other herbs like oregano.
- Lemon juice: You will need 3 tablespoons which is about one lemon for this recipe.
- Fresh garlic clove
- Red wine vinegar
- Olive oil: This is completely optional, and you can simply omit for an oil-free version.
Tip: A teaspoon of Dijon mustard would also be a tasty addition to whisk into the dressing!
Beans + veggies: Add cannellini beans, red bell pepper (or roasted bell peppers), avocado, kalamata olives, etc.
Vegan cheese: Top your bowl with vegan feta cheese crumbles before serving if desired.
This is a great side dish or main dish. Plus you can make it ahead of time for picnics, potlucks, meal prep, and take-along lunches. (Especially because it tastes even better after it chills.)
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep well for about 4-5 days.
Tip: Re-stir the salad before serving because some dressing will settle at the bottom.
Mediterranean Three Bean Salad
- 15 oz. can red kidney beans
- 15 oz. can garbanzo beans
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 3 roma tomatoes (or grape/cherry)
- 1/2 small red onion (or green onions)
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley (or less to taste)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (or less to taste)
For the lemon-garlic dressing:
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (omit for oil-free)
- Salt to taste
- Rinse and drain beans. Add to a large mixing bowl.
- Dice tomato and cucumber. Finely dice red onion. Roughly chop herbs, large stems removed. Add to bowl.
- In a small bowl, add dressing ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss well.
- Add more lemon juice, vinegar, or salt to taste if desired.
- Can serve immediately, but best after it chills in the fridge. (Simply re-stir before serving as some dressing will settle.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this vegan Mediterranean Bean Salad recipe, also check out: