Hearty Lentil Potato Soup with mushrooms and herbs! The rich, savory flavors remind me of a vegan version of classic beef stew. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
I'm tempted to dazzle you with a bunch of super cool lentil facts but I'll refrain. Let's keep it short and sweet: lentils rock. They're easy to cook, packed with nutrients and protein, satisfying, and budget-friendly.
This recipe is adapted from one of my favorites: Lentil Spinach Soup. I love lentil soup of any kind, but this one feels extra hearty and wonderfully rustic with chunks of potato, carrot, and mushroom. It reminds me of a veganized version of classic beef stew.
Ingredients for Lentil Potato Soup
- Yellow onion
- Mushrooms (I use cremini)
- Vegetable broth
- Green/brown lentils
- Dried parsley & thyme
We find the leftovers are also delicious because the broth becomes even richer and more flavorful the next day. (Which is great because I'm a soup-for-breakfast kind of girl.)
Rustic Lentil Potato Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 large carrot
- 6 oz. mushrooms (I use cremini)
- 1 medium potato (about 1.5 cups diced)
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 5 cups vegetable broth (or 4 cups broth + 1 cup water)
- 2 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 cup green/brown lentils (uncooked)
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 3/4 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt to taste
- Prepare the vegetables: dice onion and carrot. Mince garlic. Slice mushrooms. Dice potatoes into about 3/4″ chunks.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 5 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil-sauté method.)
- Add potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and dried thyme & parsley. Stir and sauté 3-4 more minutes.
- Add garlic. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add broth and tamari. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add lentils (rinsed). Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Add more broth/water if desired.
- Stir in roughly chopped spinach during the last couple minutes of cooking. Salt/pepper to taste or add more tamari.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you're enjoying this soup, also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make this! (Also please leave a review and star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated - thank you!)