Hearty and rustic vegan Lentil Potato Soup with mushrooms and herbs! The rich, savory flavors remind me of a vegan version of classic beef stew. (Gluten-free & oil-free.)
I'm tempted to dazzle you with a bunch of awesome lentil facts but I will refrain. Let's keep it short and sweet: lentils rock.
They are easy to cook, and filled with nutrients, protein and fiber. Plus they are satisfying and budget-friendly.
This soup has such hearty texture with chunks of potato, carrot, and mushroom. It reminds me of a veganized version of classic beef stew!
Ingredients for Lentil Potato Soup
For this recipe you will simmer in a large pot:
- Yellow onion
- Mushrooms: I like cremini, but use your own favorite. Portobello mushroom, white button mushroom, shiitake mushrooms, etc.
- Potato: I prefer Yukon gold potatoes for this recipe, but white or russet potatoes work too.
- Garlic cloves: Or substitute dried garlic powder.
- Vegetable broth: Use low sodium broth if desired.
- Tamari: Or substitute soy sauce, but I use tamari for gluten-free.
- Green lentils or brown lentils: The earthly flavor of green/brown lentils is really tasty in this recipe. But you could substitute red lentils or black lentils as well.
- Fresh spinach: Or you can stir in fresh kale or swiss chard.
- Dried parsley + dried thyme: Or substitute other spices and herbs to taste.
Herbs + seasonings: Change up the flavors as you see fit. Try ground dried oregano, dried basil, ground cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, Italian seasonings, bay leaves (remove before serving), turmeric, ginger, black pepper, or curry powder. Or garnish your bowl with fresh herbs or a squeeze of lemon juice before serving.
Veggies: Add other vegetables such as celery, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, zucchini, etc.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep well for about 5-6 days. Simply reheat in the microwave when ready to enjoy.
The leftovers are especially delicious because the broth becomes even richer and more flavorful the next day. (Which is great because I'm a soup-for-breakfast kind of girl.)
Rustic Lentil Potato Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 large carrot
- 6 oz. mushrooms (I use cremini)
- 1 medium potato (about 1.5 cups diced)
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 5 cups vegetable broth (or 4 cups broth + 1 cup water)
- 2 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 cup green/brown lentils (uncooked)
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 3/4 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt to taste
- Prepare the vegetables: Dice onion and carrot. Mince garlic. Slice mushrooms. Dice potatoes into about 3/4″ chunks.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 5 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil-sauté method.)
- Add potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and dried thyme & parsley. Stir and sauté 3-4 more minutes.
- Add garlic. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add broth and tamari. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add lentils (rinsed). Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Add more broth/water if desired.
- Stir in roughly chopped spinach during the last couple minutes of cooking. Salt/pepper to taste or add more tamari.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan Rustic Potato and Mushroom Lentil Soup recipe, also check out: