Easy vegan Lentil Taco Soup with black beans! A protein-packed meal that everyone can customize with their own favorite taco toppings. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This black bean + lentil vegan taco soup recipe is easy to make and so cozy and satisfying.
It is a great source of plant-based nutrients and is also high in protein and fiber. (Each serving has about 17 grams protein!)
Plus everyone can customize theirs with their own favorite taco toppings before serving.
So it is a fun family-friendly meal that works great for kids and crowds.
Ingredients for Taco Bean Soup
For this recipe you will simmer in a large pot:
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves: Or substitute garlic powder.
- Green lentils or brown lentils: I like the earthy taste of green or brown lentils with this recipe. I have not tried black lentils or red lentils, but those could probably work too.
- Diced tomatoes: Either canned regular tomatoes or fire-roasted for more flavor.
- Black beans: Or substitute with pinto beans or red kidney beans.
- Sweet corn: Either fresh, canned corn, frozen corn, or fire-roasted.
- Vegetable broth: Use low sodium if desired.
- Taco seasoning: I use my homemade taco seasoning blend with flavorful spices like chili powder, ground cumin, oregano, and more.
Bell pepper is also a great addition!
Make it spicy: Add jalapeno, cayenne pepper, medium diced green chiles, chipotle in adobo sauce. Or simply top with your favorite hot sauce before serving.
Make it "meaty": Add your favorite vegan beef crumbles to the pot in place of either the lentils or black beans. (Or simply reduce lentils to make room.)
Serve as is, or garnish your bowl with any desired toppings. A few ideas include:
- Diced avocado or guacamole
- Fresh cilantro
- Hot sauce
- Crumbled tortilla chips
- Vegan cheese shreds (cheddar cheese)
- Vegan sour cream
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep for about 4-5 days. It's a great option for meal prep as well.
Freezing: I have not tried this as a freezer meal, but I'm guessing it'd work great. Be sure to let it cool completely before placing in the freezer. Then enjoy within 1-2 months.
For more inspiration, browse all easy vegan dinner recipes.
Black Bean Lentil Taco Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup green/brown lentils (uncooked)
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted, petite diced, etc.)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 cup sweet corn (I use organic frozen)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- Cilantro, fresh tomato, avocado, tortilla strips, vegan cheese shreds, green onion, hot sauce
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 6-7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and make the taco seasoning.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic and 3 Tbsp. taco seasoning. Sauté 1 minute.
- Add 4 cups broth and tomatoes with juice. Bring to a light boil.
- Rinse lentils and add to stockpot. Once lightly boiling, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. (Add more broth/water if desired.)
- Rinse and drain black beans. Stir in black beans and corn during last few minutes of cooking.
- Serve with any desired toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Vegan Black Bean and Lentil Taco Soup recipe, also check out: