This easy, nourishing Mexican-inspired Black Bean and Quinoa Soup recipe with spinach is such a simple dish to assemble. Pleasantly filling and satisfying and packed with plant-based nutrients! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This Mexican-inspired quinoa and black bean soup is deliciously satisfying and easy to adapt.
I really enjoy the hearty texture of the quinoa and bean combination.
It is a great healthy recipe for weeknights because it is simple to prepare.
Plus easy to adapt and substitute as you wish.
Ingredients for Quinoa Bean Soup
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion
- Vegetable broth
- Diced tomatoes: Regular or fire-roasted.
- White quinoa
- Black beans
- Ground cumin
- Dried oregano
- Chili powder: I use mild.
- Fresh baby spinach
This soup is gently spiced with warm flavors of cumin, oregano, and chili powder.
Change it up how you see fit, however!
How to Serve
Either serve this soup as is, or try toppings such as:
- Fresh cilantro
- Hot sauce
- Diced avocado
- Crumbled tortilla chips for crunch
- Fresh squeeze of lime juice
Black Bean and Quinoa Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth*
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or petite, fire-roasted, etc.)
- 1/2 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. chili powder (I use mild)
- 2-3 oz. fresh baby spinach
- Fresh cilantro, hot sauce, avocado, tortilla chips, fresh lime juice, etc.
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, dice carrot and mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add carrot, garlic, cumin, oregano, and chili powder. Stir and sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and diced tomatoes. Cover and bring to a light simmer.
- Rinse and drain both quinoa and black beans. Add to pot.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until quinoa is cooked.
- Roughly chop spinach and add during the last couple minutes of cook time.
- Salt/pepper to taste. Serve with toppings if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this quinoa black bean soup recipe, also check out: