This nourishing Mexican-inspired Black Bean and Quinoa Soup recipe is a simple dish to assemble. Plus it is pleasantly satisfying and packed with plant-based nutrients! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This Mexican-inspired quinoa and black bean soup is satisfying and easy to adapt.
It's a great source of plant-based protein and fiber.
Plus the easy assembly makes it a perfect healthy recipe for lunch or weeknight dinner.
Ingredients for Black Bean Quinoa Soup
For this recipe you will simmer in a large pot on the stove:
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves: Or substitute dried garlic powder.
- Vegetable broth: Use low sodium if desired.
- Diced tomatoes: Either regular canned diced tomatoes or fire-roasted.
- White quinoa: You will need one-half cup quinoa (dry and uncooked) for this recipe.
- Black beans: Or you can substitute pinto beans or kidneys beans if you'd prefer.
- Ground cumin
- Dried oregano
- Chili powder: I use mild chili powder from Simply Organic brand.
- Fresh baby spinach: Or use other fresh greens like kale or arugula.
Make it spicy: Add jalapeño, cayenne pepper, chipotle in adobo sauce, red pepper flakes, black pepper, or simply top with your favorite hot sauce before serving.
Spices + seasonings: This soup is gently spiced with warm flavors of cumin, oregano, and chili powder. Change it up how you see fit, however!
Vegetables: Swap in your own favorite veggies such as sweet corn, celery, bell pepper, kale, sweet potato, etc.
Thickness: This is a fairly dense soup. Increase the broth to 5-6 cups for a more broth-heavy soup. The quinoa continues to soak up liquid as it sits and will thicken the soup to a stew-like consistency. (Alternatively, you can cook the quinoa separately, and add it in at the end.)
Enjoy as is, or top your bowl with garnish and extra flavor. A few ideas include:
- Fresh cilantro
- Hot sauce to taste
- Diced avocado
- Crumbled tortilla chips for crunch
- Fresh squeeze of lime juice
- Shredded vegan cheese
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find it keeps for about 4-5 days. Simply reheat in the microwave when ready to enjoy.
Freezing: I have not tried freezing this recipe, but I'm guessing it would do well as a freezer meal. Be sure to let the soup cool completely before transferring to a sealed, freezer-safe container. You can also freeze in individual portions for easier reheating.
Black Bean Quinoa Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth*
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or petite, fire-roasted, etc.)
- 1/2 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. chili powder (I use mild)
- 2-3 oz. fresh baby spinach
- Fresh cilantro, hot sauce, avocado, tortilla chips, fresh lime juice, etc.
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, dice carrot and mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add carrot, garlic, cumin, oregano, and chili powder. Stir and sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and diced tomatoes. Cover and bring to a light simmer.
- Rinse and drain both quinoa and black beans. Add to pot.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until quinoa is cooked.
- Roughly chop spinach and add during the last couple minutes of cook time.
- Salt/pepper to taste. Serve with toppings if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan quinoa black bean soup recipe, also check out: