A quick and easy Hearty Vegan Chili that is thick, flavorful, and so satisfying. It is made with two types of beans and warm spices. Perfect cold weather comfort food! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This easy vegan chili recipe is super satisfying with hearty beans and vegetables in a thick, flavorful tomato broth.
And it only takes 30 minutes to make.
Ingredients for Vegan Chili
For this recipe you will need:
- Red bell pepper
- Black beans
- Kidney beans: Or substitute another can of black beans or pinto beans.
- Canned diced tomatoes: Regular or fire-roasted. I like petite diced for smaller pieces.
- Tomato paste
- Vegetable broth
- Chili powder: I use mild.
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
- Dried oregano
This version is mild (if using mild chili powder) so add cayenne pepper, chipotle, or hot sauce if you want to spice it up.
I also enjoy adding zucchini. Or you can try butternut squash, sweet potato, or corn for a little sweetness.
Hearty Vegan Chili
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 15 oz. can kidney beans
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (I use petite diced)
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder (use mild, or cut back if desired)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt to taste
- Optional: cayenne pepper or chipotle powder for a kick
Toppings of choice (optional):
- Green onion, avocado, cilantro, vegan sour cream, etc.
- Dice onion and bell pepper.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, sauté onion and bell pepper in water/broth for about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic. When onion is translucent, add garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and oregano. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth, tomatoes with juice, and tomato paste. Bring to a light boil.
- Meanwhile, rinse and drain beans.
- Add beans, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Serve with toppings of choice.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Vegan Chili, also check out: