Easy, 30-minute Hearty Vegan Chili that's thick, flavorful, and delicious. Made with two types of beans and warm spices - perfect cold weather comfort food! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
This easy vegan chili recipe is super satisfying with hearty beans and vegetables in a thick, flavorful tomato sauce. And it only takes 30 minutes to make.
The award for ultimate cold-weather comfort food definitely goes to chili. Such satisfying goodness that warms you from the inside out.
Ingredients for Vegan Chili
For this recipe you'll need:
- Red bell pepper
- Black beans + kidney beans
- Canned diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- Tomato paste
- Vegetable broth
- Chili powder (I use mild)
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
- Dried oregano
This version is mild (if using mild chili powder) so add cayenne pepper, chipotle, or hot sauce if you want to spice it up.
I also enjoy adding zucchini. Or you can try butternut squash, sweet potato, or corn for a little sweetness.
Hearty Vegan Chili
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 15 oz. can kidney beans
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (I use petite diced)
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder (use mild, or cut back if desired)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt to taste
- Optional: cayenne pepper or chipotle powder for a kick
Toppings of choice (optional):
- Green onion, avocado, cilantro, vegan sour cream, etc.
- Dice onion and bell pepper.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, sauté onion and bell pepper in water/broth for about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic. When onion is translucent, add garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and oregano. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth, tomatoes with juice, and tomato paste. Bring to a light boil.
- Meanwhile, rinse and drain beans.
- Add beans, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Serve with toppings of choice.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you're enjoying this Vegan Chili, also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review and star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated - thank you!)