Easy bean and black lentil chili packed with plant-based protein and fiber! A satisfying meatless meal that is vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free.
This is an easy, healthy vegan chili filled with hearty beans and black lentils.
It is packed with protein and fiber which is an awesome combination that helps keep us feeling full and energized.
Black lentils hold their shape well while cooking (unlike other lentil varieties that can become a bit mushy). Their dense texture adds such a hearty feel to this dish and makes it a great meat replacement.
They are not as common as other lentils so if you can't find them, no worries, simply replace with green/brown lentils.
Ingredients for Lentil Chili
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion
- Diced tomatoes: Either regular or fire-roasted.
- Tomato sauce
- Vegetable broth
- Kidney beans
- Black beans
- Black beluga lentils
- Chili powder: I use mild.
- Ground cumin
This chili is great served as is, over baked potatoes, or mixed with brown rice or quinoa. I especially enjoy it topped with diced avocado.
For more inspiration, also browse all lentil recipes.
Beluga Lentil Chili
- 1 yellow onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz. can kidney beans
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 cup black beluga lentils (uncooked)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- Avocado, green onion, cilantro, hot sauce, tortilla strips, dairy-free cheese or sour cream, etc.
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for about 8-10 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add chili powder, cumin, and garlic. Stir and sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, diced tomatoes with juice, and tomato sauce.
- Rinse and drain both beans and lentils. Add to pot.
- Increase heat and bring to a light boil. Then reduce heat to med-low, cover, and simmer for about 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Salt to taste and serve with any desired toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Black Beluga Lentil Chili, also check out:
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- Hearty Vegan Chili (30 Minute)
- Smoky Chipotle Black Bean Quinoa Chili
- Summer Vegetable Chili