Healthy, satisfying Black Bean Quinoa Chili with smoky chipotle! An easy plant-based meal and so comforting on chilly days. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This black bean quinoa chili is full of so much warm, satisfying goodness.
It is wonderfully nourishing on a cold autumn or winter day.
I absolutely adore the combination of black beans and quinoa pairing up together for extra heartiness. Healthy yet so comforting.
Ingredients for Black Bean Quinoa Chili
For this recipe you will need:
- Chipotles in adobo sauce
- Adobo sauce
- Canned crushed tomatoes
- Vegetable broth
- Black beans
- White quinoa
- Chili powder: I use mild.
- Ground cumin
If you can't find canned chipotles in adobo sauce, look for dry chipotle powder in the spice aisle. See more chipotle tips in the notes below the recipe.
And if you are wondering what to do with your canned chipotle leftovers, see this helpful article from The Kitchn.
Smoky Chipotle Black Bean Quinoa Chili
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1-2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce*
- 2 tsp. adobo sauce (more as desired)
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 30 oz. canned black beans (two 15 oz. cans)
- 1/2 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 2 1/2 tsp. chili powder (I use mild)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- Avocado, green onion, cilantro, vegan shredded cheese, vegan sour cream
- Dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for about 8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, prepare the chipotle: handling the chile carefully, gently scrape the seeds away with the back of your knife to remove them. Then finely mince the chile. (When finished, avoid touching your face and wash your hands very well. I try to avoid all contact with the chile, using a fork to help maneuver it.)
- Add minced garlic, chili powder, and cumin to the stockpot. Stir and cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, vegetable broth, minced chipotle, and 2 tsp. adobo sauce (avoiding seeds).
- Rinse and drain black beans and quinoa. Add to pot.
- Bring to a light boil. Then cover, lower heat to med-low, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until quinoa is cooked.
- Salt to taste and garnish with desired toppings before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Smoky Vegan Black Bean Chili, also check out: