This satisfying Summer Vegetable Chili is made with beans and fresh garden produce! It is customizable and makes a quick & easy lunch or dinner.
This Summer Vegetable Chili is so fresh and wonderfully satisfying. It includes two types of beans, plus an assortment of garden produce for a fresh taste of summer.
Then you can top it off with your favorite garnishes. My favorites are avocado and cilantro, but tortilla strips, vegan cheese, or vegan sour cream are tasty as well.
Customize your Summer Chili
This is a versatile recipe, so check out the suggestions below or add your own favorites.
- Add extra spices. Ground cumin and smoked paprika are great.
- Try it with mushrooms. Add cremini, button, portobello, etc. in place of zucchini + summer squash.
- Add extra thickness and flavor. Tomato sauce or tomato paste are tasty additions.
- Make it spicy. This is mild as written using mild chili powder, so add cayenne pepper, jalapeño, or your favorite hot sauce to spice it up.
- Add smokiness. I love the addition of ground chipotle powder or chipotle in adobo sauce.
Summer Vegetable Chili
- 1 yellow onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 yellow summer squash (or another zucchini or mushrooms)
- 1 bell pepper (I use orange)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 15 oz. can pinto beans
- 1 cup sweet corn (fresh, canned, or frozen)
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder (I use mild)
- Optional: 1-2 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Fresh cilantro, avocado, hot sauce, green onion, vegan cheese shreds, vegan sour cream, tortilla strips, etc.
- Dice onion, zucchini, squash, and bell pepper. Mince garlic.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. veggie broth/water for no-oil sauté method.)
- When onion is translucent, add minced garlic and chili powder. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add zucchini, squash, and bell pepper. Stir and sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Add broth, diced tomatoes, corn, and beans (rinsed and drained).
- Increase heat and bring to a light boil. Then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Salt to taste and add any desired toppings before serving. (I love cilantro & avocado.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this summer chili, also check out: