Asian-style take-out made easy (and healthy) right at home! This Portobello Mushroom Broccoli Stir Fry is a great 30-minute dinner that is both satisfying and also customizable with your own favorite veggies. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
An Asian-style take-out dish made easy (and healthier!) right at home.
This mushroom broccoli stir-fry is only 9 ingredients and pleasantly satisfying, especially served over warm brown rice or quinoa.
I find Asian take-out dishes are often weighed down by a lot of oil, so I opted for an oil-free stir-fry method for this recipe.
Simply substitute vegetable broth or water to sauté. Light and healthy, yet delicious!
Ingredients for Stir-Fry
For this recipe you will need:
- Portobello mushroom
- Fresh broccoli
- Red bell pepper
- Vegetable broth
- Hoisin sauce: I use San-J brand for gluten-free.
- Cornstarch or arrowroot: To thicken.
Portobellos are a great meat substitute because they have such a deliciously tender texture.
Customize this recipe with your own favorite vegetables or whatever is in season. (Asparagus is great too.)
If you have leftover hoisin sauce, it is also great in this Vegetable Lo Mein.
Portobello Mushroom & Broccoli Stir-Fry
- 2 extra-large portobello mushrooms (about 12 oz.)
- 2-3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- Optional: sesame seeds for topping
For the stir-fry sauce:
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce (gluten-free if necessary*)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch or arrowroot (to thicken)
- 1-2 tsp. grated/minced ginger (optional)
- Make the stir-fry sauce: mince garlic and add all sauce ingredients to a small bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Wipe portobellos clean with a damp towel. Remove stem and slice into thin strips (about 1/3-inch thick).
- Slice onion and bell pepper.
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, sauté portobellos, bell pepper, onion, and broccoli florets. (For oil-free sauté, use about 3 Tbsp. broth/water in place of oil.)
- Sauté for 7-8 minutes, gently stirring occasionally. Add a touch more water/broth as needed.
- Whisk the sauce again and add to skillet. Toss well to combine and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring often.
- Serve over rice, quinoa, or noodles and top with sesame seeds and more tamari if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this portobello stir fry, also check out: