The salad that makes us crave kale! Easy marinated kale salad with avocado, tomato, and a super simple dressing. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free option)
Are you ready to crave kale? I know how that sounds and you probably have your doubts, but take one bite of this marinated salad and I think you’ll believe 😉 We’ve been making it about twice a week and I’m so happy to finally have a kale recipe we absolutely love. (Especially since kale is such a nutrient dense food with many claimed medicinal properties including anti-inflammatory compounds, antioxidants, and cancer-fighting phytonutrients.)
The recipe is gently adapted from VegNews. Check ’em out if you haven’t yet – they’re a great source of veggie inspiration and fun news. I’m thankful for their simple idea behind this salad. Most often we make it with beautiful lacinato/dinosaur kale or throw in some different veggies, but this is our personal favorite combination. So many different variations, so play around and have fun!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations.
Marinated Kale Salad
- 1 large bunch organic kale (curly or lacinato)
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (for topping)
For the dressing
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (omit for oil-free)
- Tear kale into bite-size pieces (stems removed). Place in a bowl and lightly massage.
- Thinly slice onion, and halve cherry tomatoes. Add to bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, add dressing ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Pour dressing over salad, toss well to coat, and let marinate for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice avocado.
- Top with avocado and sunflower seeds before serving. Best eaten within a day.