EASY 30-minute vegan Orzo Salad with bright pops of color from the spinach and tomatoes! Super quick, fresh, and only 7 simple ingredients!
I love color-coordinating food with the holidays! This dish makes me think happy Christmas thoughts with that beautiful red & green on a white orzo backdrop. Even though it may be a bit of a non-traditional dish, it’s a fun way to change up your holiday meal game – the color burst makes it feel so festive!
It’s an easy dish to make (only 7 ingredients and 30 minutes!) and is actually even better when made ahead of time, giving the flavors a chance to blend and intensify. (Which is of course perfect for those summer get-togethers as well.) It’s such a lovely, easy dish to enjoy all year round. Just be sure to find ripe, juicy tomatoes which makes all the difference! Hope you love it as much as we do.
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Orzo Salad with Spinach & Tomato
- 1 cup orzo (uncooked)
- 3-4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 8 oz. grape tomatoes
- 3 green onions
For the dressing
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/8 tsp. salt (more to taste)
- Cook orzo: boil 2 cups water with some salt. Add 1 cup orzo, reduce heat, and gently simmer for 10-15 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Mince garlic. Add garlic, vinegar, basil, and salt to a small bowl. Whisk/stir to combine. Set aside.
- Halve/quarter the tomatoes. Slice green onions. Roughly chop spinach if desired.
- In a large bowl place spinach, tomatoes, and green onion.
- When orzo is cooked, drain and immediately add to bowl. Stir well for a minute. (The heat from the orzo will lightly wilt the spinach.)
- Pour dressing over top and toss to combine.
- Recommended: cover and let sit in fridge for an hour before serving – the flavors get a chance to blend and intensify!