Creamy, cheesy, comforting Vegan Mac and Cheese! This simple, healthy version is made dairy-free with a savory cashew cheese sauce bursting with flavor and also protein.
Sometimes you just need a big bowl of creamy, cheesy, comforting mac and cheese. This simple, healthy version is made dairy-free with a rock-star cashew cheese sauce bursting with flavor and protein.
I also love adding a pop of color with vibrant green broccoli (mac & cheese with trees!) Always a great, delicious pairing, and not to mention a nice green nutrient boost. Hope you enjoy as well!
If you’re looking for more vegan weeknight inspiration, also check out:
- BBQ Tempeh Wraps with Spinach
- Vegan Hawaiian BBQ Quesadillas
- Bean Tostadas
- Spinach Artichoke Quesadillas
Easy Vegan Mac & Cheese
- 12 oz. pasta (I use brown rice shells for gluten-free)
For the cheese sauce:
- 1 cup raw cashews*
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Salt to taste
- "Quick-soak" the cashews: in a bowl, cover the raw cashews with hot water (about 160 degrees F / 71 C) until they’re submerged. Set aside and let sit for about 10-15 minutes. (This makes them easier to blend.)*
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, leaving al dente.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce: drain cashews and place all cheese sauce ingredients in a blender. Blend thoroughly until smooth. Adjust seasonings if desired.
- In a large pan over med-low heat, add cheese sauce. Heat for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add drained pasta and stir well. Cook for an additional 3 minutes or until sauce is desired thickness.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you’re enjoying this Vegan Mac and Cheese, also feel free to check out the full “30 Minutes or Less” vegan recipe archives on the site for more quick and easy plant based inspiration! (Or this other Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese.)
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a review/star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is always very appreciated!)