Sometimes you just need a big bowl of creamy, cheesy, comforting mac and cheese. This simple, healthy version is made dairy-free with the help of a rock-star cashew cheese sauce bursting with flavor (and protein!)
I love adding a pop of color and nutrition with vibrant green broccoli (mac & cheese with trees!) Always a great pair. Hope you enjoy as well!
Easy Vegan Mac & Cheese
Creamy, cheesy, comforting VEGAN mac and cheese. This simple, healthy version is made dairy-free with a rock-star cashew cheese sauce bursting with flavor (and protein!)
Servings:4 medium bowls
- 12 oz. uncooked pasta (I use brown rice shells)
For the cheese sauce:
- 1 cup raw cashews*
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (I use this brand)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Quick soak the cashews: in a bowl, cover the raw cashews with hot water (~160 F) until they’re submerged. Set aside and let sit for about 10-15 minutes. (This makes them easier to blend.)*
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, leaving al dente.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce: drain cashews and place all cheese sauce ingredients in a blender. Blend thoroughly until smooth. Adjust seasonings if desired.
- In a large pan over med-low heat, add cheese sauce. Heat for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add drained pasta and stir well. Cook for an additional 3 minutes or until sauce is desired thickness.
*If you don't have a high-speed blender, you may want to soak your cashews 8 hours or overnight to achieve a smoother sauce. Made gluten-free with your favorite gluten-free pasta. Cheese sauce adapted from Vegan Military Wife
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Calories: 530kcal | Carbohydrates: 79g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Potassium: 541mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 855IU | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 4mg