Easy vegan Sloppy Joes made with marinated BBQ tempeh crumbles! Deliciously saucy, satisfying, and a great way to enjoy tempeh.
These saucy, flavorful BBQ Tempeh Sloppy Joes are so hearty, delicious, and easy to make.
It is a tasty vegan version of the classic sloppy joes.
If you have never tried tempeh before, this can be a great recipe to start with.
Tempeh is a fermented soy product, but is less processed than tofu. It has a nice "meaty" texture which works well in these sandwiches.
Ingredients for Tempeh Sloppy Joes
For this recipe you will need:
- Tempeh: Some tempeh includes added grains, so if you need gluten-free be sure to check the ingredients.
- BBQ sauce: Use one you enjoy as it is most of the flavor in this dish.
- Green bell pepper
- Vegetable broth
- Hamburger buns: Use gluten-free if desired.
These are great served with a light salad or fresh sweet corn in the summer.
BBQ Tempeh Sloppy Joes
- 8 oz. tempeh
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (I love "Bold & Smoky Kansas City style" from Trader Joe's)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 4 hamburger buns
- Crumble tempeh in a bowl. Add BBQ sauce and stir well to combine. Set aside and let marinate for at least 15 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Meanwhile, dice onion and bell pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion and bell pepper for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add BBQ tempeh and 1/2 cup broth. Stir. Bring to light simmer then cover, reduce heat, and lightly simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Scoop onto hamburger buns and add any toppings if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying these vegan BBQ tempeh sloppy joes, also check out: