Protein powerhouse vegan enchiladas with an amazing Mexican-inspired homemade sauce! Each enchilada has a whopping 20+ grams of plant-based protein (all from soy-free sources).
Two things make these Protein Monster Enchiladas one of our favorite vegan enchiladas yet.
First is the combination of black beans + garbanzo beans. Chickpeas don't often appear in enchiladas but we really enjoy the unexpected addition. (If you are not a fan of garbanzos, substitute quinoa instead!)
Second is when the natural tomato juices are mixed with nutritional yeast in the pan, it makes a delicious sauce that really brings the filling together.
I love that each enchilada is about 20 grams of protein, all from non-soy sources. (Or even more protein if using sprouted grain tortillas.)
The ingredient list is much longer than most of my recipes, but it is not as complicated as it looks!
I simply couldn't resist including the recipe for our favorite Mexican-inspired homemade enchilada sauce so you can really take these vegan enchiladas to the next level.
Protein Monster Vegan Enchiladas
For the enchiladas:
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 15 oz. can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- 6 large tortillas
For the enchilada sauce:
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (GF if desired*)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder (more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder (more to taste)
- Optional: cayenne pepper, ground chipotle, smoked paprika, etc.
MAKE THE ENCHILADA SAUCE:
- In a small bowl, add flour and the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- When hot, carefully add tomato paste, and the small bowl of flour and four spices.
- Cook 1 minute, whisking continuously. Then add broth and whisk well. Increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- Reduce to simmer and cook 8 minutes, whisking occasionally. Salt to taste and set aside.
MAKE THE ENCHILADAS:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Dice onion and bell pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté onion and bell pepper for about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice tomatoes. Rinse and drain beans.
- When onions are translucent, reduce heat. Add cumin, paprika, tomatoes, nutritional yeast, hemp hearts, and both beans (rinsed and drained). Stir well. Heat for 4-5 minutes then set aside.
- In a lightly sprayed 9×13 baking dish, cover the bottom with a thin layer of enchilada sauce.
- Distribute bean mixture in the center of tortillas. Roll up, tucking in both ends.
- Place all 6 rolled enchiladas in baking dish and top with remaining sauce.
- Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Serve topped with avocado, cilantro, additional hemp hearts, nutritional yeast, etc.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying these vegan protein enchiladas, also check out: