Vegan Quinoa Enchiladas with vegetables and black beans! Nutrient-packed and smothered in the most delicious Mexican-inspired homemade enchilada sauce.
I think this makes it official - I've gone quinoa crazy! So many of my meals lately are built around this amazing, nutrient-packed ingredient.
I love the simple, delicious beauty of keeping recipes short and ingredients minimal. But I bent my own rules with this one. These enchiladas have more ingredients and steps than I usually prefer, but we feel it's totally worth it.
Plus I took it a step further by making my own enchilada sauce to pour over the top. So tasty! I originally made this sauce for these Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas. We love it so much that I pour it over any other enchilada when I get the chance.
Please feel free to use your own favorite or canned enchilada sauce however. Hope you enjoy these as much as we do!
Vegan Vegetable Quinoa Enchiladas
- 1 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 6 oz. spinach
- 4 oz. can mild green chiles
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 cup salsa
- 2-3 cups enchilada sauce (canned or homemade)
- 1 cup vegan shredded cheese (more/less to taste)
- 8 large tortillas (gluten-free if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a small pot, make the enchilada sauce. (Omit this step if using store-bought.)
- Dice onion and bell pepper. Mince garlic.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic for 5 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. veggie broth/water for no-oil saute method.)
- Add spinach and saute another couple minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Add cooked quinoa, black beans (rinsed and drained), diced tomatoes, green chiles, spices, and salsa. Stir to combine and cook until heated through. Salt/pepper to taste.
- Place a small amount of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Divide quinoa filling evenly down the center of each tortilla. Roll up with ends tucked in, and place seam side down in the dish.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce on top, sprinkle with cheese shreds, and bake for 30 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying these Vegan Quinoa Enchiladas? Also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt these! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated - thank you!)