Delicious vegan enchiladas with quinoa, vegetables, and black beans! So nourishing and topped with a homemade Mexican-inspired enchilada sauce.
These vegetable quinoa enchiladas are so satisfying and nourishing.
I enjoy the simple beauty of keeping recipes short and ingredients minimal. But I slightly bent my own rules with this one.
These quinoa enchiladas are more ingredients and steps than I usually prefer, but we feel it is totally worth it.
Ingredients for Quinoa Enchilada
For this recipe you will need:
- White quinoa
- Yellow onion
- Red bell pepper: Or other color.
- Roma tomatoes
- Fresh baby spinach
- Diced green chiles: These usually come in a small 4 ounce can. I use mild for this recipe, but you can use medium for a little spice.
- Black beans
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Dried oregano
- Salsa: I like this restaurant-style blender salsa.
- Enchilada sauce: I like this homemade enchilada sauce, but use your own favorite or canned.
- Vegan shredded cheese
- Tortillas: Use gluten-free if desired. I try to find whole grain when possible.
Vegetable Quinoa Enchiladas
- 1 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 yellow onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 6 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 4 oz. can mild green chiles
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 cup salsa
- 2-3 cups enchilada sauce (canned or homemade)
- 1 cup vegan shredded cheese (more/less to taste)
- 8 large tortillas (gluten-free if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a small pot, make the enchilada sauce. (Omit this step if using store-bought.)
- Dice onion and bell pepper. Mince garlic.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté onion, bell pepper, and garlic for 5 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. veggie broth/water for no-oil sauté method.)
- Add spinach and sauté another couple minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Add cooked quinoa, black beans (rinsed and drained), diced tomatoes, green chiles, spices, and salsa. Stir to combine and cook until heated through. Salt/pepper to taste.
- Place a small amount of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Divide quinoa filling evenly down the center of each tortilla. Roll up with ends tucked in, and place seam side down in the dish.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce on top, sprinkle with cheese shreds, and bake for 30 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying these enchiladas, also check out: