Vegan Quinoa Enchiladas with vegetables and black beans! Nutrient-packed and smothered in the most delicious Mexican-inspired homemade enchilada sauce.
I think this makes it official - I've gone quinoa crazy! So many of my meals lately are built around this amazing, nutrient-packed ingredient.
I enjoy the simple, delicious beauty of keeping recipes short and ingredients minimal. But I bent my own rules with this one. These quinoa enchiladas have more ingredients and steps than I usually prefer, but we feel it is totally worth it.
Plus I took it a step further by making my own enchilada sauce to pour over the top. So tasty! I originally made this sauce for these Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas. We love it so much that I pour it over any other enchilada when I get the chance.
Please feel free to use your own favorite or canned enchilada sauce however. Hope you enjoy these as much as we do!
Vegan Vegetable Quinoa Enchiladas
- 1 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 6 oz. spinach
- 4 oz. can mild green chiles
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 cup salsa
- 2-3 cups enchilada sauce (canned or homemade)
- 1 cup vegan shredded cheese (more/less to taste)
- 8 large tortillas (gluten-free if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a small pot, make the enchilada sauce. (Omit this step if using store-bought.)
- Dice onion and bell pepper. Mince garlic.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic for 5 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. veggie broth/water for no-oil saute method.)
- Add spinach and saute another couple minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Add cooked quinoa, black beans (rinsed and drained), diced tomatoes, green chiles, spices, and salsa. Stir to combine and cook until heated through. Salt/pepper to taste.
- Place a small amount of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Divide quinoa filling evenly down the center of each tortilla. Roll up with ends tucked in, and place seam side down in the dish.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce on top, sprinkle with cheese shreds, and bake for 30 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying these Vegan Vegetable Quinoa Enchiladas, also feel free to check out: