Vegan cashew pesto with fresh basil & lemon! Thick, creamy, flavor-packed, and perfect for pasta, pizza, wraps, sandwiches, soup, etc.
Summer is here and the basil is flowing, so it’s a perfect time for fresh vegan cashew pesto! I’ve been tinkering around with dairy-free pesto recipes and am really happy with how this one turned out. It’s a little thicker, creamier, and less oily (with a no-oil option as well.) So far, my husband and I have been enjoying it on pizzas and veggie wraps this summer.
I opted for cashews as the base because I’m still totally smitten with the power of raw cashews, but you could certainly use the more traditional pine nuts or walnuts instead. I also love the versatility of pesto: spread it on pizza, pasta, Roasted Vegetable Paninis (see photo below), veggies, etc. It always gives such a huge, fresh burst of flavor.
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a review/star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Cashew Basil Pesto
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup fresh basil (or more to taste)
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast (I use this brand)
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or use all vegetable broth for oil free)
- Soak the cashews 4 hours or overnight*, then rinse and drain.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or high speed blender, and blend until desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Add more lemon juice, broth, or olive oil if you’d like a thinner consistency.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Disclosure: The Garden Grazer is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to amazon.com and affiliated sites. I only share things I absolutely LOVE and also personally use! (There is no additional cost to you in clicking the affiliate link.)