This recipe is great because you can make it ahead of time, let it chill in the fridge, then pull it out whenever you’re ready. Eat it with a spoon, or use it as a dip. (I LOVE serving it next to guacamole.) This time I used three colors of bell pepper (the rainbow effect brings me happiness!) and then used the leftover pepper for pizza later that night. Feel free to add your favorite fresh herbs or jalapeno/cayenne for a kick!
Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- 15 oz. can black-eyed peas
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 2 roma tomatoes (or grape/cherry tomatoes)
- Optional: fresh herbs, jalapeno, etc.
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar (*see notes below)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (omit for oil-free)
- 1 tsp. agave
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Make the dressing: add all ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Rinse and drain black-eyed peas, and add to a medium mixing bowl.
- Finely dice bell pepper, red onion, and tomatoes. Add to bowl with beans.
- Pour dressing over top and stir to combine.
- Chill for at least an hour, or up to 24 hours. Salt/pepper to taste if necessary, and stir before serving. Can serve as a salad or chip dip (pairs very well next to guacamole!)