Grab some chips and dive in! This easy, colorful Healthy Texas Cowboy Caviar is great made ahead for picnics, potlucks, and parties (or snacking at home!) Plus it’s vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free.
– Photos updated 12/3/19 –
This fun & colorful (healthier!) Texas Caviar is an awesome make-ahead dish. Traditional cowboy caviar is usually made with a decent amount of oil and sugar. But I omit it in this version for a lighter, healthier take using a flavorful dressing of vinegar, fresh lemon, and garlic!
Plus it’s only 9 simple, healthy ingredients. We especially love ours served with chips for dipping. It’s a great choice when feeding the masses because it’s accommodating to most dietary lifestyles. It’s naturally vegan, oil-free, refined sugar-free, and also gluten-free.
I also enjoy keeping a batch handy in the fridge to pull out for quick snacks – grazer-style 😉 Hope you enjoy it too!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is always greatly appreciated – thank you!)
Healthy Texas Caviar
- 30 oz. canned black eyed peas (two 15 oz. cans)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 cup organic corn (I thaw frozen corn)
- 1 bell pepper (I use 1/2 green, 1/2 red)
- 1/2 small red onion
- Optional additions: tomatoes, green onion, fresh parsley/cilantro, avocado, jalapeno, etc.
For the lemon-vinegar dressing:
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Juice from 1/2 lemon (about 1 1/2 Tbsp. or more to taste)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Make the dressing: in small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients.
- Rinse and drain beans. Dice bell pepper and finely dice onion.
- In a large bowl, add beans, bell pepper, onion, and corn. Add dressing and toss well to combine. Add more salt or lemon juice if desired.
- Can serve immediately OR cover and refrigerate for at least two hours. (It tastes best after flavors blend.) Re-stir before serving as some dressing will settle on the bottom.