Grab some chips and dive in! This easy, colorful Healthy Texas Cowboy Caviar is great made ahead for picnics, potlucks, and parties (or snacking at home!) Plus it's vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free.
This fun & colorful (healthier!) Texas Caviar is a great make-ahead dish. From what I've seen, traditional cowboy caviar is usually made with a decent amount of oil and sugar.
But I omit both in this version for a lighter, healthier take using a flavorful dressing of vinegar, fresh lemon, and garlic.
Ingredients for Texas Caviar
For recipe you'll need 9 simple ingredients:
- Black eyed peas
- Black beans
- Sweet corn
- Bell pepper
- Red onion
- Red wine vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Dried oregano
We especially enjoy ours served with chips for dipping. It's a great choice when feeding the masses because it's accommodating to most dietary lifestyles. It's naturally:
- Refined sugar-free
I also enjoy keeping a batch handy in the fridge to pull out for quick snacks.
Healthy Texas Caviar
- 30 oz. canned black eyed peas (two 15 oz. cans)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 cup sweet corn, cooked (I thaw frozen corn)
- 1 bell pepper (I use 1/2 green, 1/2 red)
- 1/2 small red onion
- Optional additions: tomatoes, green onion, fresh parsley/cilantro, avocado, jalapeno, etc.
For the lemon-vinegar dressing:
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon, or more to taste)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Make the dressing: in small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients.
- Rinse and drain beans. Dice bell pepper and finely dice onion.
- In a large bowl, add beans, bell pepper, onion, and corn. Add dressing and toss well to combine. Add more salt or lemon juice if desired.
- Can serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for at least two hours. (It tastes best after flavors blend.) Re-stir before serving as some dressing will settle on the bottom.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you're enjoying this healthy Healthy Texas Caviar, also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is always greatly appreciated - thank you!)