Grab some chips and dive in! This easy, colorful Healthy Texas Cowboy Caviar is great made ahead for picnics, potlucks, and parties (or snacking at home!) Plus it’s vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free.
– Photos updated 12/3/19 –
This fun & colorful (healthier!) Texas Caviar is an awesome make-ahead dish. Traditional cowboy caviar is usually made with a decent amount of oil and sugar. But I omit it in this version for a lighter, healthier take using a flavorful dressing of vinegar, fresh lemon, and garlic!
Plus it’s only 9 simple, healthy ingredients. We especially love ours served with chips for dipping. It’s a great choice when feeding the masses because it’s accommodating to most dietary lifestyles. It’s naturally vegan, oil-free, refined sugar-free, and gluten-free.
I also enjoy keeping a batch handy in the fridge to pull out for quick snacks – grazer-style 😉 Hope you enjoy it too!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a review/star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Healthy Texas Caviar
- Two 15 oz. cans black eyed peas
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 cup organic corn (I thaw frozen corn)
- 1 bell pepper (I use 1/2 green, 1/2 red)
- 1/2 small red onion
- Optional additions: tomatoes, green onion, fresh parsley/cilantro, avocado, jalapeno, etc.
For the lemon-vinegar dressing:
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Juice from 1/2 lemon (more to taste)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Make the dressing: in small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients.
- Rinse and drain beans. Dice bell pepper and finely dice onion.
- In a large bowl, add beans, bell pepper, onion, and corn. Add dressing and toss well to combine. Add more salt or lemon juice if desired.
- Can serve immediately OR cover and refrigerate for at least two hours. (It tastes best after flavors blend.) Re-stir before serving as some dressing will settle on the bottom.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this healthy Healthy Texas Caviar? Feel free to also check out the full “Vegan Sides” recipe archives on the site for more tasty plant based inspiration. (Or this Savory Vegan Chex Mix or similar Black Bean & Corn Salsa.)