Simple & cozy Three Bean Chili with warm flavors and satisfying plant-based protein! So savory and a great weeknight meal, especially in the winter. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This fiesta-style chili is packed with colorful veggies, a three bean medley, and warm, savory flavors.
It's healthy, hearty, and perfect for lunch, dinner, or even meal prepping!
Ingredients for the Chili
For this recipe you'll need:
- Bell pepper
- Black + pinto + kidney beans
- Diced tomatoes
- Vegetable broth
- Sweet corn
- Chili powder (I use mild)
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
This recipe is mild as written (if using mild chili powder) but see the notes below for recommendations on how to spice it up. One variation is adding ground chipotle (or also chipotle in adobo sauce) for a nice smoky kick.
Fiesta Three Bean Chili
- 1 onion
- 2 bell peppers (I use green & red)
- 4 cloves garlic (or 1/2 tsp. dried garlic powder)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 15 oz. can pinto beans
- 15 oz. can kidney beans
- 15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes (or regular diced or fire-roasted)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup organic sweet corn (I use frozen)
- 1 1/3 Tbsp. chili powder (1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp.)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- Avocado, cilantro, green onion, hot sauce, dairy-free sour cream, tortilla crumbles, etc.
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method. Add a splash more as needed to prevent sticking.)
- Meanwhile, dice bell peppers and mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add bell peppers, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika. Stir and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add broth and diced tomatoes with juice.
- Rinse and drain beans. Add to stockpot.
- Increase heat and bring to a light boil. Then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Stir in corn during the last 5 minutes of cooking. (If using frozen, no need to thaw first.)
- Salt to taste and serve with any desired toppings. (I love avocado & cilantro.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you're enjoying this recipe, also check out a few more of our chili favorites:
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- Summer Vegetable Chili
- Hearty Vegan Chili (30 Minute)
- Smoky Chipotle Black Bean Quinoa Chili
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this recipe! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated - thank you!)