Flavor-packed Italian Chopped Salad with a zesty homemade vinaigrette! A healthy mix of bold flavors plus a garbanzo bean boost! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
My new favorite obsession: this flavor-PACKED vegan Italian Chopped Salad! I’ve been making it on repeat with no end in sight. It’s full of healthy, plant-based goodness and tossed with an (easy!) bold & zesty Italian vinaigrette for a total taste explosion. Plus I love the fresh burst of color!
This dish is a wonderful make-ahead meal for picnics, potlucks, BBQ’s, or take-along lunches. (Simply store the dressing & salad separately until you’re ready to serve. Otherwise the romaine tends to get a little soggy.) Hope you enjoy it as much as we do! Be sure to read the notes below the recipe for tips on the dressing and serving suggestions. (Also feel free to check out another one of my favorites: Southwestern Chopped Salad with Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing!)
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Vegan Italian Chopped Salad with Zesty Vinaigrette
- 1 large head romaine
- 15 oz. can garbanzo beans
- 1 cup artichoke hearts (about 8 hearts)
- 1 cup roasted red pepper (about 2 large peppers)
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- Other additions: tomatoes, cucumber, vegan provolone, pepperoncini
For the oil-free Zesty Italian Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth or water
- 1-2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Make the dressing: in a bowl combine all ingredients and whisk to combine. Add more salt, or pepper if desired. Set aside.
- Chop romaine and finely dice onion. Add to a large bowl.
- Remove excess liquid from artichoke hearts, roasted red pepper, olives, and chop. Add to bowl.
- Shred or shave carrot. Rinse and drain beans. Add both to bowl.
- Whisk dressing again and pour desired amount over salad (we usually use about the whole dressing amount.).
- Toss well to combine. *OR if not serving immediately, see tips below:
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Vegan Italian Salad? Feel free to also browse the full “Vegan Salad” recipe archives on the site for more tasty plant based inspiration.