One pot, 30-minute Kidney Bean, Spinach, Orzo Soup! This cozy meal comes together quick (with lots of pantry staples!) for an easy vegan weeknight meal.
Orzo soup! This simple yet cozy 10-ingredient, 1 pot, 30-minute soup is made with many easy pantry staples. It’s one of those meals I whip together when I haven’t been to the store in a while (read: low on fresh produce). Usually my motto is… when in doubt, make soup! This is always one of my favorites and so satisfying on a chilly day.
You could easily swap out the spinach for kale or do a combination of both. Soup is super versatile and the addition of leeks and zucchini are a couple of my favorite variations. My 5 year old daughter’s analysis? “I like it. The orzo seems pretty good. It’s squishy!” (Said while making a squishy hand motion.) Sounds like we’ve got a real recipe critic on our hands 😉
If you’re looking for more quick and easy inspiration, also check out the 15 Best Easy Vegan Weeknight Meals.
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)
Kidney Bean, Spinach, & Orzo Soup
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 15 oz. cans kidney beans
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup orzo* (uncooked)
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt to taste
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over med-high heat, saute onion in 3 Tbsp. water or broth for about 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice carrot and mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add carrots, garlic, basil, and oregano. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add 6 cups broth, and tomatoes with juice. Bring to a light boil.
- Rinse and drain beans. Add to pot.
- Add orzo and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat, and cook for about 10-12 minutes, or until orzo is cooked.
- Stir in spinach during the last couple minutes of cooking.
- Salt to taste.