One pot, 30-minute Kidney Bean, Spinach, Orzo Soup! This cozy meal comes together quick (with lots of pantry staples!) for an easy vegan weeknight meal.
Orzo soup! This simple yet cozy 10-ingredient, 1 pot, 30-minute soup is made with many easy pantry staples. It’s one of those meals I whip together when I haven’t been to the store in a while (read: low on fresh produce). Usually my motto is… when in doubt, make soup! This is always one of my favorites and so satisfying on a chilly day.
You could easily swap out the spinach for kale or do a combination of both. Soup is super versatile and the addition of leeks and zucchini are a couple of my favorite variations. My 5 year old daughter’s analysis? “I like it. The orzo seems pretty good. It’s squishy!” (Said while making a squishy hand motion.) Sounds like we’ve got a real recipe critic on our hands 😉
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your recreations.
Kidney Bean, Spinach, & Orzo Soup
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 15 oz. cans kidney beans
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup orzo* (uncooked)
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt to taste
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over med-high heat, saute onion in 3 Tbsp. water or broth for about 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice carrot and mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add carrots, garlic, basil, and oregano. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add 6 cups broth, and tomatoes with juice. Bring to a light boil.
- Rinse and drain beans. Add to pot.
- Add orzo and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat, and cook for about 10-12 minutes, or until orzo is cooked.
- Stir in spinach during the last couple minutes of cooking.
- Salt to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Kidney Bean Spinach Soup? Feel free to also check out the full “Vegan Soup” recipe archives on the site for more cozy plant-based inspiration!