An easy Vegan Mushroom Soup recipe made with simple ingredients, fresh herbs, and a luscious homemade cream sauce. A mushroom lover's delight! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, with a cashew-free option.)
Mushroom lovers gather 'round! This vegan mushroom soup is one of my very favorite soup recipes.
It's my dairy-free version of the classic "cream of mushroom soup" and it's truly a bowl of pure comfort.
We combine tender, nutrient-rich mushrooms with aromatic herbs. Then stir in a luscious cashew cream sauce. (Yes!) The broth is so rich, flavorful, and creamy.
Plus it's wonderfully easy to assemble with simple, healthy ingredients. I hope you enjoy this one as much as I do!
Ingredients for Vegan Mushroom Soup
For this recipe you will simmer in a large stockpot on the stove:
- Onion: I use either yellow onion or sweet onion, but white onion works too.
- Garlic cloves: I recommend fresh garlic for this recipe, but you can replace it with 2 teaspoons dried garlic powder if needed.
- Fresh mushrooms: Most often, I use cremini mushrooms (also called baby bella mushrooms). But you can use white button mushrooms, shiitake, oyster, portobello, or a combination of your favorites.
- Vegetable broth: Be sure to use low sodium if needed. I haven't tried this recipe with mushroom broth, but that could work as well to add another layer of umami mushroom flavor.
- Italian seasoning: As always, be sure your pantry spices are fresh (not expired) for best flavor.
- Fresh parsley: We'll stir this in at the end of cooking time to help preserve the flavor and nutrients. Just a couple tablespoons of fresh herbs add wonderful flavor. You can also sprinkle more as garnish if you'd like.
- Raw cashews: We'll use soaked cashews to blend up a delicious cashew cream. Then pour it in the soup at the end of cooking time. The cashews also add extra plant-based protein and fiber to the dish. (See options below if you need a cashew-free or nut-free version.)
- Tamari: Or you can substitute soy sauce, but I use tamari for gluten-free.
- Apple cider vinegar: This adds a hint of acidity to balance and enhance the flavors.
Cashew-free version: Omit the cashew cream. Instead, stir in a 14 oz. can full-fat coconut milk or 1.5 cups dairy-free milk (plain, unsweetened, and nut-free if needed). I recommend still adding the tamari and vinegar for depth of flavor however!
Thickness: The broth isn't overly thick as written. So add up to one tablespoon cornstarch to the cashew cream before blending. This creates a thicker texture as it heats with the soup. Add a full tablespoon for extra-thick, or 1-2 teaspoons for slightly thick. (Or you can add a separate cornstarch slurry at the end of cook time. Combine 1 Tbsp. cornstarch + 3 Tbsp. cold water together, then add to soup.)
Cashew cream flavors: One tablespoon white miso paste can be added to the cashew cream for salty, umami flavor. Or add 1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast for a slightly cheesy taste.
Add greens: Stir in fresh baby spinach or finely chopped kale towards the end of cooking time.
Herbs + seasoning: Change up the flavors to suit your taste. Instead of Italian seasoning, use dried thyme, rosemary, basil, oregano, or bay leaves (remove from pot before serving). Vegan butter can also be added for extra richness, but I find this isn't necessary.
Blending tip: I use a small NutriBullet blender to prepare the cashew cream which works great. (I used to have a Ninja blender that did not work nearly as well.)
Pairing: This soup is great served with a simple side salad and crusty bread. Or enjoy it all by itself! Add salt and black pepper to taste before serving. I also like to garnish my bowl with extra fresh parsley.
Stir-ins: Before serving, you can also stir in cooked rice, wild rice, quinoa, or other grains like farro to give the soup a little more substance.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I find they keep for about 4-5 days. Simply reheat in the microwave when ready to enjoy.
Vegan Mushroom Soup (Creamy, Oil-Free!)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 1/2 lbs. mushrooms (24 oz.)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
For the cashew cream:
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. tamari
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Optional: up to 1 Tbsp. cornstarch (for thicker broth), 2 tsp. white miso
- Soak cashews: Place cashews in a heat-safe bowl. Top with hot/boiling water until cashews are submerged. Set aside to soak.
- Dice onion. Clean mushrooms then slice. Set aside.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 6-7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- When onions are softened, add garlic and Italian seasoning. Stir and sauté 1 minute. Add mushrooms. Stir and sauté 3-4 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a light boil. Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make cashew cream: Drain and rinse soaked cashews. Add all cashew cream ingredients to a small blender. Blend for 20-30 seconds until smooth. Add to soup during the last few minutes of cook time.
- Turn off heat and stir in fresh parsley. Salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this vegan cream of mushroom soup recipe, also check out: