30 minute Tomato Spinach Orzo Soup! Quick to make with only 7 simple ingredients but full of flavor. It’s an easy vegan weeknight meal and great even in summer topped with fresh basil!
Sometimes the simplest meals are best! This may be super quick and easy, but it’s full of fresh flavor and fun texture from the orzo. I happen to be a “soup year-round” kind of girl, so I think this lighter soup works great even in the summer.
Plus it’s a great use for fresh basil. Topping off this soup with a small mountain of basil adds so much bright, summery flavor and fresh goodness.
This recipe is inspired by my Orzo Salad with Spinach & Tomato. I wanted to put a different twist on it using the same simple ingredients. You could even try this with fresh, ripe tomatoes in place of the canned tomatoes once they arrive in season. (If you give that a try, let me know how it goes!)
If you’re looking for more quick & easy meals, check out these 15 Best Easy Vegan Weeknight Meals.
Tomato Spinach Orzo Soup
- 1 onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta (uncooked)
- 2-3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil (or other herbs – oregano, thyme, rosemary)
- Salt to taste
- Recommended: fresh basil for serving
- Dice onion.
- In a large stockpot over med-high heat, saute onion in 2-3 Tbsp. water/broth for about 8 minutes.
- While onion is cooking, mince garlic.
- Add garlic and dried basil. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth and diced tomatoes with juice.
- Cover and bring to a light boil.
- Add orzo. Stir, reduce heat, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until orzo is cooked.
- Stir in spinach during last couple minutes of cooking.
- Salt to taste and serve with fresh julienned basil if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying this Tomato Orzo Soup? Also feel free to check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)