This recipe is inspired by my Orzo Salad with Spinach & Tomato – I wanted to put a different twist on it using the same simple ingredients. I’m pretty anxious to try this with fresh, ripe tomatoes in place of the canned tomatoes once they come in season. (If you give that a try, let me know how it goes!) Hope you enjoy!
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram 🍓 and share a pic if you make this! I love seeing what your recreations.
Tomato Spinach Orzo Soup
- 1 onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta (uncooked)
- 2-3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil (or other herbs – oregano, thyme, rosemary)
- Salt to taste
- Recommended: fresh basil for serving
- Dice onion.
- In a large stockpot over med-high heat, saute onion in 2-3 Tbsp. water/broth for about 8 minutes.
- While onion is cooking, mince garlic.
- Add garlic and dried basil. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth and diced tomatoes with juice.
- Cover and bring to a light boil.
- Add orzo. Stir, reduce heat, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until orzo is cooked.
- Stir in spinach during last couple minutes of cooking.
- Salt to taste and serve with fresh julienned basil if desired.