30 minute Tomato Spinach Orzo Soup! Quick to make with only 7 simple ingredients but full of flavor. It’s an easy vegan weeknight meal and great even in summer topped with fresh basil!
Sometimes it’s the simplest meals that are best! This may be super quick and easy (only 7 ingredients and 30 minutes) but it’s FULL of delicious flavor and fun texture from the orzo. I may be a bit biased since I’m a soup year-round kind of girl, but this lighter take is great all year, even if you don’t normally prefer soup in the summer. Plus it’s another great use for that beautiful, fresh basil! Topping off this soup with a small mountain of basil (if you have any available) adds so much bright, summery flavor and fresh goodness.
This recipe is inspired by my Orzo Salad with Spinach & Tomato. I wanted to put a different twist on it using the same simple ingredients. Plus I’m pretty anxious to try this with fresh, ripe tomatoes in place of the canned tomatoes once they come in season. (If you give that a try, let me know how it goes!) And if you’re looking for more quick & easy meals, check out these 15 Best Easy Vegan Weeknight Meals! Hope you enjoy!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Tomato Spinach Orzo Soup
- 1 onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta (uncooked)
- 2-3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil (or other herbs – oregano, thyme, rosemary)
- Salt to taste
- Recommended: fresh basil for serving
- Dice onion.
- In a large stockpot over med-high heat, saute onion in 2-3 Tbsp. water/broth for about 8 minutes.
- While onion is cooking, mince garlic.
- Add garlic and dried basil. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth and diced tomatoes with juice.
- Cover and bring to a light boil.
- Add orzo. Stir, reduce heat, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until orzo is cooked.
- Stir in spinach during last couple minutes of cooking.
- Salt to taste and serve with fresh julienned basil if desired.