An easy vegan Avocado Edamame Salad recipe with sweet corn and black beans! Just 8 simple ingredients and filled with plant-based protein and fresh veggies. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This easy, 8-ingredient salad is filled with protein and fiber from the edamame and black bean combination.
Then it's tossed with a simple squeeze of lime juice for some bright, fresh flavor.
It works great as either a side dish or main dish salad.
Plus it's beautiful year-round, but especially in the summer when tomatoes and sweet corn are in season and at peak flavors.
For this recipe you will toss together in a large bowl:
- Black beans
- Shelled edamame: I usually purchase frozen organic edamame and defrost according to package instructions. I've seen frozen edamame both in the pods and shelled, so find whatever is available in your area.
- Cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes: I use these because they have such a bright, sweet flavor. However you could also use roma tomatoes or other garden tomato if desired.
- Sweet corn: Either cooked fresh, canned corn kernels, fire-roasted, etc.
- Red onion: Or you can substitute green onion for a milder flavor.
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh lime juice
- Salt to taste: I use fine grain salt for this recipe. You can also include black pepper to taste if desired.
Flavors: You can also add 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 clove garlic (minced), lime zest, cayenne pepper, or agave to sweeten. I make the dressing oil-free, but you can toss in a tablespoon of olive oil if you wish.
Vegetables: Add other veggies as you see fit. Try red bell peppers, roasted bell pepper, jalapeno, etc.
This is a fantastic make-ahead dish because the flavors intensify after it chills in the fridge. So it is a great option for picnics, potlucks, take along lunches, meal prep, etc.
Making ahead of time: Save the avocado to cut and add right before serving. This helps prevent it from browning.
Try it as a dip! You can also serve this as a dip with your favorite tortilla chips.
For more inspiration, also browse all gluten-free recipes or avocado recipes.
Black Bean Edamame Salad with Avocado
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 1/2 cups shelled edamame, cooked (8 oz.)
- 1 1/2 cups cherry/grape tomatoes (or roma)
- 1 cup sweet corn, cooked
- 1/4 cup red onion (or green onion for milder flavor)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 2-3 Tbsp. lime juice (about 1-2 small limes)
- 1 large ripe avocado
- Salt to taste
- Rinse and drain black beans. Dice tomatoes.
- Finely dice red onion. Roughly chop cilantro, large stems removed.
- In a medium bowl, add all ingredients except avocado. Toss to combine.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary (more lime juice, salt, etc.)
- Chill covered in the fridge if desired for 1-2 hours before serving. When ready to serve, dice avocado, add to bowl, and gently toss.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this vegan Corn and Black Bean Avocado Salad with Edamame, also check out:
Follow The Garden Grazer on Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook for more updates and inspiration.
Refreshingly yummy. I add some cumin and paprika and I feel they go very well with the tanginess of the lemon juice. Thanks Kaitlin!
Absolutely! What great additions! Thanks so much for sharing your kind and helpful feedback.
I’ve made it three times. I have enjoyed it. I like how easy and nutritious it is.
Really great to hear, Allison! Thanks so much for sharing.
Made this for my future son-in-law who is a very strict vegan. He loved it.
Wonderful! So glad it was enjoyed. Thanks for taking the time to come back and let me know!
So good! I've made it 3 times already.
Kaitlin | The Garden Grazer
Great to hear!