A satisfying Bulgur & Bean Vegetable Chili filled with hearty, nourishing ingredients. Simple to prepare and great on chilly days. (Vegan, oil-free.)
This bulgur chili is simple to make and so satisfying.
It combines hearty beans, tender bulgur, warm spices, and a variety of colorful vegetables for plant-based nutrition.
Both nourishing and comforting!
What is Bulgur?
Bulgur is a whole grain made from parboiled groats of several different wheat species. (Therefore it is not a gluten-free grain.)
It contains protein, fiber, and several vitamins and minerals. You can find it in a variety of grinds from fine, medium, coarse, and extra-coarse.
Bulgur is a great substitute for the ground beef or meat in traditional chili because it thickens up the texture and makes it so cozy and hearty.
Ingredients for Bulgur Chili
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion
- Green bell pepper
- Garlic cloves
- Sweet corn: Either canned, frozen, or fresh.
- Kidney beans: Or you can substitute pinto beans or black beans if desired.
- Bulgur: I use a medium/coarse grind for this recipe.
- Canned diced tomatoes: Either regular or fire-roasted.
- Tomato sauce
- Vegetable broth
- Chili powder + ground cumin + smoked paprika
Customizing and Serving
This vegan chili is an easy recipe to customize based on the flavors you enjoy:
- Make it spicy: Add jalapeño, cayenne pepper, chipotle in adobo sauce, or hot sauce to taste.
- Omit the zucchini: Feel free to leave out the zucchini and replace with another can of beans (black beans, pinto beans, or kidney beans).
- Make it gluten-free: Bulgur is not a gluten-free grain, so you could replace it with rice or quinoa if desired.
For serving, add avocado (my favorite!), crumbled tortilla chips, fresh cilantro, vegan shredded cheese, vegan sour cream, or hot sauce.
For more inspiration, also browse all vegan soup + chili recipes.
Bulgur Vegetable Chili
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 medium zucchini
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 cups sweet corn (I use frozen)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 2/3 cup bulgur
- 15 oz. can kidney beans
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder (I use mild)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Dice onion and bell pepper. Dice zucchini and set aside.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion and bell pepper for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic, chili powder, smoked paprika, and cumin. Stir and sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Add zucchini, sweet corn, broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, bulgur, and kidney beans (rinsed and drained).
- Bring to a light boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until bulgur is cooked.
- Serve with any desired toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Bulgur and Bean Vegetable Chili, also check out: