An easy black bean and chickpea Fiesta Bean Salad with cumin-lime dressing! This recipe is fresh, healthy, and packed with plant-based protein and fiber. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free option.)
This easy, satisfying Fiesta Bean Salad is so hearty and delicious!
Chickpeas and black beans are two of my favorites, so I love them joining forces in the same dish.
Beans are rich in fiber and protein, so this dish always feels pleasantly satisfying.
Plus it's tossed with a simple but tasty cumin-lime dressing, and creamy avocado and tomatoes.
Ingredients for Fiesta Bean Salad
For this recipe you will toss together in a large bowl:
- Chickpea (garbanzo beans)
- Black beans: I use canned beans, but feel free to use freshly cooked beans if you wish. You will need about 1.5 cups of both beans, or about 3 cups total beans.
- Roma tomatoes: Or substitute cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes for a richer, sweeter tomato flavor. Plum tomatoes would be great too.
- Red onion: Or use green onion (scallion) for a milder taste.
- Fresh cilantro
- Avocado: I use one large avocado, but you can use as much as you'd like.
- Lime juice: You will need two tablespoons fresh lime juice for this recipe, which is about one lime.
- Ground cumin
- Fresh garlic cloves
Serving and Storing
Make-ahead: This dish is great made-ahead for meal prep, packed lunches, BBQs, picnics, and potlucks. You can enjoy it as a salad, or it also makes a tasty chip dip!
Leftovers: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep well for about 4 days.
Avocado tip: If you're preparing the salad ahead of time, you can wait and add the avocado right before serving. This helps prevent it from browning.
Fiesta Bean Salad
- 15 oz. can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 3 roma tomatoes (or cherry/grape tomatoes)
- 1/2 small red onion (less to taste)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado
- Optional: bell pepper, jalapeno, sweet corn, etc.
For the cumin-lime dressing:
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, add all dressing ingredients and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Rinse and drain beans. Add to a medium bowl.
- Dice tomatoes, roughly chop cilantro, and finely dice red onion. Add to the beans.
- Pour dressing over bean mixture and stir.
- Peel and dice avocado. Add it to the salad and lightly toss to combine.
- Can serve immediately or chill for at least an hour. (If not serving immediately, you can add the avocado right before serving to prevent it from browning if you wish.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this black bean and chickpea Fiesta Bean Salad with cumin dressing, also check out:
- Southwest Black Bean Soup
- Black Bean Lentil Salad
- Black Bean Tacos with Avocado Sauce
- White Bean Tomato Salad (10 Minute)