An easy black bean & chickpea Fiesta Bean Salad with cumin-lime dressing! This recipe is fresh, healthy, and packed with plant-based protein and fiber. (Gluten-free & oil-free option.)
This easy, satisfying Fiesta Bean Salad is so hearty and delicious.
Chickpeas and black beans are two of my favorites, so I love them joining forces in the same dish.
Beans are full of fiber and protein, so this dish always feels so pleasantly satisfying.
Plus it is topped off with a simple but tasty cumin-lime dressing, and creamy avocado and tomatoes.
For this recipe you will need:
- Chickpea (garbanzo beans)
- Black beans: I use canned beans, but feel free to use freshly cooked beans if you wish. You will need about 1 1/2 cups of both beans, or about 3 cups total.
- Roma tomatoes: Or substitute cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes for a richer, sweeter tomato flavor.
- Red onion: Or use green onion (scallion) for a milder taste.
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime juice
- Ground cumin
- Garlic cloves
Serving + Storing
Make-ahead: This dish is great made-ahead for meal prep, packed lunches, BBQs, picnics, and potlucks. You can enjoy it as a salad, or it also makes a tasty chip dip!
Leftovers: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep well for about 4 days.
Avocado: If not serving immediately, you can add the avocado right before serving to prevent it from browning if you wish.
Fiesta Bean Salad
- 15 oz. can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 3 roma tomatoes (or cherry/grape tomatoes)
- 1/2 small red onion (less to taste)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado
- Optional: bell pepper, jalapeno, sweet corn, etc.
For the cumin-lime dressing:
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, add all dressing ingredients and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Rinse and drain beans. Add to a medium bowl.
- Dice tomatoes, roughly chop cilantro, and finely dice red onion. Add to the beans.
- Pour dressing over bean mixture and stir.
- Peel and dice avocado. Add it to the salad and lightly toss to combine.
- Can serve immediately or chill for at least an hour. (If not serving immediately, you can add the avocado right before serving to prevent it from browning if you wish.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this black bean & chickpea Fiesta Bean Salad with cumin dressing, also check out: