A delicious Quinoa Chickpea Salad with Lemon Dill Dressing! So easy to prepare, and filled with plant-based nourishment. Great for a healthy lunch, meal prep, picnics, potlucks, and more. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This healthy Quinoa Chickpea Salad is so fresh and tasty!
It's filled with satisfying plant-based nutrients including protein and fiber.
Bring a batch to summer gatherings, picnics, barbecues, or potlucks for a healthy dish to share.
It's also a great side dish or light lunch. Plus wonderful for meal prep or make-ahead packed lunches for the week because it holds up well in the fridge.
Ingredients for Quinoa Chickpea Salad
For the salad portion, you will toss together in a large bowl:
- White quinoa: Quinoa contains all nine essential amino acids which makes it a complete protein. It's simple to cook and a great base for this salad.
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans): These add a good source of plant-based protein, fiber, and other nutrients to the salad. (Feel free to substitute with another white bean if desired however.)
- Cucumber: Most often I use an English/hothouse cucumber because they are more flavorful and have less seeds. But regular seedless garden tomatoes work great too depending on what's available.
- Grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes: I like these best in this salad because they have such a sweet, rich flavor. However you can substitute with roma tomatoes or other flavorful garden tomato if desired. Roasted tomatoes would also provide another delicious layer of flavor!
- Green onions (scallions): Or you can substitute chives or even finely diced red onion for a stronger flavor.
- Avocado: Either use one large avocado, or two smaller avocados.
Ingredients for Dill Dressing
For the lemon dill dressing, you will whisk together in a small bowl or jar:
- Fresh lemon juice: You will need about 1.5 lemons for this recipe. Feel free to also include a little lemon zest in the dressing for even more flavor.
- Red wine vinegar: Or you can substitute apple cider vinegar or a white wine vinegar.
- Fresh dill: This is one of my favorite herbs, so I'll toss in even more to the salad after it's finished.
- Garlic cloves: You can use one or two (or more) depending on how much you like garlic.
- Salt: A bit of fine grain salt helps bring out the flavors. Feel free to add as much or as little to your taste. You can also include black pepper if desired.
Lemon zest, Dijon mustard, or a teaspoon or two of pure maple syrup are optional additions to the dressing as well. Change it up how you see fit!
Vegetables: Add other veggies to the salad as you see fit. Try sweet corn, red bell pepper, roasted bell pepper, artichoke hearts, carrots, sugar snap peas, zucchini, sun-dried tomatoes, etc.
Greens: You can even include finely chopped greens like arugula, spinach, or baby kale for more nutrients.
Herbs: I enjoy fresh dill in this salad, however it works great with other fresh herbs as well. Try fresh parsley, basil, cilantro, chives, or a combination of herbs.
Other additions: Add other flavors like Kalamata olives, vegan crumbled feta cheese, pine nuts, or whatever else sounds good. I keep this chickpea quinoa salad oil-free, but you can add a tablespoon of good quality extra-virgin olive oil to the dressing if desired.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find it keeps well for about 4-5 days.
Tip: If preparing this salad in advance, feel free to add the avocado right before serving to help keep it fresh.
For more inspiration, also browse all quinoa recipes or salad recipes.
Quinoa Chickpea Salad with Dill Dressing
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 1 pint grape/cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium cucumber (I use English/hothouse)
- 4 green onions (or red onion)
- 1 large avocado (or 2 small)
- Optional: extra dill, Kalamata olives, vegan feta crumbles
For the lemon-dill dressing:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 1/2 lemons)
- 1-2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- Optional: lemon zest, Dijon mustard, black pepper, 2 tsp. maple syrup
- Rinse and cook quinoa according to package instructions.*
- Prepare veggies: Halve/quarter tomatoes, dice cucumber, slice green onions, and dice avocado (peel and pit removed). Place in a large bowl.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. Add to bowl.
- Make dressing: Whisk together all dressing ingredients in a small bowl or jar.
- Add cooked quinoa to large bowl.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss well to combine. Add more dill, or salt/pepper if desired.
- Can enjoy immediately, but the flavor is best after it chills in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours or overnight.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Quinoa Chickpea Salad recipe with dill dressing, also check out:
- Mexican Quinoa Salad with Cumin Lime Dressing
- Vegan Italian Chopped Salad with Zesty Dressing
- Avocado Tomato Salad with Cucumber
Follow The Garden Grazer on Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook for more updates and inspiration.
This is SO delicious and I keep going back to it. Added the optional vegan feta crumbles too! Perfect summer dish.
Great to hear! Thanks for sharing.