A colorful southwest-style black bean salad with flavorful orange-lime citrus dressing! Plus it's a great make-ahead dish for packed lunches, picnics, etc. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This colorful black bean salad combines southwest-inspired flavors with bright, fresh citrus.
Sweet orange juice and tangy lime juice come together in a quick and easy dressing.
Plus it's versatile! Enjoy it as a side dish, chip dip, or even a fun and flavorful topper for tacos, burritos, etc.
Add rice or quinoa: You can also mix the salad with a small amount of rice or quinoa to make it an even more satisfying main dish. (Plus the rice/quinoa will soak up any leftover citrus dressing.)
Make it spicy: For a bit of heat, add chili powder or cayenne pepper to taste if desired.
Avocado: Freshly diced avocado is also a great addition right before serving!
This southwest bean salad also makes a great take-along cold lunch.
Simply make ahead of time and store in the fridge in a sealed container until you're ready to go.
Tip: You can eat this dish right after preparing, but the flavors beautifully intensify after it chills in the refrigerator for a little while!
Southwest Black Bean Salad with Citrus Dressing
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely diced
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro (large stems removed)
- 6 oz. grape/cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup sweet corn (I use canned or frozen)
- Optional: avocado for serving
For the citrus dressing:
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice (about 1 large orange)
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. agave (or other sweetener)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Finely dice bell pepper, red onion, and tomatoes. Roughly chop cilantro, large stems removed. Place in a large bowl.
- Add black beans (rinsed and drained) and sweet corn (thawed if frozen) to bowl.
- Pour dressing over top and toss to combine.
- Best if chilled 1 hour (or longer) before serving.
- Stir well before serving, as some dressing will settle at the bottom. Top with diced avocado right before serving if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Southwest Bean Salad recipe with citrus dressing, also feel free to check out: