My favorite gravy! Savory vegan Mushroom Gravy with onion, herbs, and hearty mushrooms. Absolutely delicious over a soft, fluffy bed of mashed potatoes!
This mushroom gravy is my all-time favorite! We’ve made this recipe so many times, devouring it with such intensity you’d think we hadn’t eaten in days 😉 Feel free to change up the herbs however you wish. The original recipe uses all thyme, and I’ve used combinations of thyme, basil, sage, and oregano that are all delicious. For us, the recipe yields enough gravy for about 4 lbs. of potatoes. Hope you enjoy as well!
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram 🍓 and share a pic if you make this! I love seeing what you guys cook up.
My favorite gravy! Savory vegan mushroom gravy with onion, herbs, and hearty mushrooms. Absolutely delicious over a soft, fluffy bed of mashed potatoes!
- 1/2 small onion
- 12 oz. mushrooms
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine (or dry sherry)
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. flour (GF if desired)
- 2 Tbsp. vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
- Finely dice the onion, and thinly slice the mushrooms.
- In a skillet over medium heat, saute the onion for 1-2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, salt, and herbs. Saute for 8-10 minutes.
- Add white wine and cook about 4 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add broth, bring to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 Tbsp. flour with 3 Tbsp. water. Add to skillet and stir.
- Return to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 2-3 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Turn off heat and stir in butter until melted. Salt to taste if desired.
Recipe yields enough gravy for about 4 lbs. potatoes. To make easy mashed potatoes: peel, dice, and steam potatoes (gold potatoes are great) for about 10 minutes or until very soft. Then immediately transfer them to a bowl, add a little vegetable broth (or plain, unsweetened milk), Earth Balance butter, and a touch of salt. Mash, done, delicious! For gluten-free, I use Bob's Red Mill GF All-Purpose Flour. Gravy recipe adapted from Oh My Veggies
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Calories: 79kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Potassium: 200mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 9.1% | Vitamin C: 2.5% | Calcium: 1.8% | Iron: 6.5%