My favorite gravy! Savory vegan Mushroom Gravy with onion, herbs, and hearty mushrooms. Absolutely delicious over a soft, fluffy bed of mashed potatoes!
This mushroom gravy is my all-time favorite! We’ve made this recipe so many times, devouring it with such intensity you’d think we hadn’t eaten in days 😉 Feel free to change up the herbs however you wish. The original recipe uses all thyme, and I’ve used combinations of thyme, basil, sage, and oregano that are all delicious. For us, the recipe yields enough gravy for about 4 lbs. of potatoes. Hope you enjoy if you give it a try as well!
If you’re looking for more holiday side dish ideas, check out a few of our other favorites:
Lentil Quinoa Fall Salad with Maple Dressing
Maple-Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Vegan Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
Butternut Squash & Kale Salad
Maple-Cinnamon Butternut Squash
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)
- 1/2 small onion
- 16 oz. mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour (GF if desired)
- 1/4 cup white wine*
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1-2 Tbsp. vegan butter (I like Miyoko's)
- Fresh thyme (or other herbs), garlic, miso, tamari
- Finely dice onion. Thinly slice mushrooms.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 2 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method.)
- Add mushrooms. Sauté for 8 minutes or until softened.
- Add dried herbs. Sprinkle flour on top. Gently stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add white wine* to deglaze pan, and cook for 3-4 minutes (or until most of the liquid has evaporated).
- Add broth and stir until flour clumps are gone. Bring to a light boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Turn off heat and stir in butter until melted. (Miso or tamari are also great additions.) Salt/pepper to taste if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this savory mushroom gravy? Feel free to also check out the full “Vegan Sides” recipe archives on the site for more tasty plant based inspiration!