My favorite gravy! Savory vegan Mushroom Gravy with onion, herbs, and hearty mushrooms. Absolutely delicious over a soft, fluffy bed of mashed potatoes!
This mushroom gravy is my all-time favorite! We’ve made this recipe so many times, devouring it with such intensity you’d think we hadn’t eaten in days 😉 Feel free to change up the herbs however you wish. The original recipe uses all thyme, and I’ve used combinations of thyme, basil, sage, and oregano that are all delicious. For us, the recipe yields enough gravy for about 4 lbs. of potatoes. Hope you enjoy if you give it a try as well!
If you’re looking for more holiday side dish ideas, check out a few of our other favorites:
Almond-Garlic Green Beans
Maple-Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Vegan Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
Butternut Squash & Kale Salad
Maple-Cinnamon Butternut Squash
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a review/star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
- 1/2 small onion
- 12 oz. mushrooms
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine (or dry sherry)
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. flour (GF if desired)
- 2 Tbsp. vegan butter (I like Miyoko's brand)
- Finely dice the onion, and thinly slice the mushrooms.
- In a skillet over medium heat, saute the onion for 1-2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, salt, and herbs. Saute for 8-10 minutes.
- Add white wine and cook about 4 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add broth, bring to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 Tbsp. flour with 3 Tbsp. water. Add to skillet and stir.
- Return to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 2-3 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Turn off heat and stir in butter until melted. Salt to taste if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this savory mushroom gravy? Feel free to also check out the full “Vegan Sides” recipe archives on the site for more tasty plant based inspiration!