All summer we’ve been chowing down on lettuce, bean, and quinoa salads, so I wanted to make an earthy rice salad instead. It was the perfect change of pace! I love the chewy texture and nutty flavor of wild rice. It’s complimented with fresh spinach and a simple lemon-garlic dressing that really brightens it up. (Not to mention the beautiful rainbow of veggies!)
It’s an adaptable recipe, so play around as you see fit! Substitute the wild rice with black rice, brown rice, quinoa, or other grain. If you’re wanting a protein boost, toss in some hemp hearts or beans. (I loaded ours with hemp hearts right after taking these pictures.) Fresh herbs are a lovely addition as well. This meal is great served chilled or at room temp, making it a great choice for take-along lunches, BBQ’s, potlucks, etc. Hope you enjoy!
Wild Rice Spinach Salad with Lemon-Garlic Dressing
- 1 cup wild rice (uncooked)
- 3 oz. spinach
- 8 oz. grape tomatoes
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 cup corn (thawed, if frozen)
- 3-4 green onions
- Optional: hemp hearts, beans, fresh herbs
For the lemon-garlic dressing:
- Juice from 1 lemon (about 3-4 Tbsp.)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (optional)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Cook rice according to package directions. (1 cup rice to 3-4 cups water.)
- While rice is cooking, make the dressing: in a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients and set aside. (Feel free to add some herbs if you wish.)
- Prep the veggies: dice the bell pepper, slice green onions, halve/quarter the tomatoes, and roughly chop the spinach. Place all veggies in a large bowl.
- When rice is done cooking, drain excess water and add rice to the large veggie bowl. Toss to combine. (The heat from the rice will slightly wilt the spinach.)
- Whisk the dressing and pour over the salad. Toss to combine.
- Serve immediately, or chill for an hour or more to further develop flavors.