Nutrient-packed Red Lentil Stew with sweet potatoes and smoked paprika! Only 9 healthy ingredients and super satisfying! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
I’m such a huge fan of lentils. These tiny beauties pack a BIG nutritional punch. Red lentils in particular are especially high in protein – one dry cup carries an amazing 50 grams. Plus? They’re super inexpensive. I’ve been trying to work them into more meals and this recipe is similar to my beloved Lentil Spinach Soup… but with the addition of sweet potato and using red lentils instead of brown which turns the consistency into a thicker stew. Plus this time I got to use these gorgeous, colorful carrots from Trader Joe’s… so pretty!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram 🍓 and share a pic if you make this! I love seeing what you guys cook up.
Red Lentil & Sweet Potato Stew
Nutrient-packed Red Lentil Stew with sweet potatoes and smoked paprika! Just 9 healthy ingredients and super satisfying!
- 1 onion
- 3-4 carrots
- 1 large sweet potato
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 heaping cups red lentils (uncooked)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (plus 2 cups water)
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- Optional: spinach
- Dice onion and carrot.
- In a stockpot over medium heat, saute onion and carrot for about 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and peel and dice sweet potato.
- Add cumin, paprika, garlic, and sweet potato to stockpot. Cook 1 minute.
- Add diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, 2 cups water, and lentils. Increase heat to med-high.
- When it begins to boil, cover, and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes or until lentils are cooked. If adding spinach, stir in at the end.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Calories: 229kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 1g | Potassium: 823mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 184.6% | Vitamin C: 15.4% | Calcium: 8.9% | Iron: 31.6%