Our family’s favorite chili! This wonderfully satisfying Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili is super easy to make and full of rich, cozy flavors. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
Hugging a warm bowl of chili totally comforts the soul. Especially on days like yesterday; a textbook autumn day with plenty of spooky Halloween vibes. Dark clouds looming with sprinkles of rain. Wind swirling the dull, crispy leaves in whimsical patterns. Ravens perched on the fence, crowing to the bare trees. It felt like something out of a movie, practically begging me to make chili. (Don’t have to ask me twice!)
Pretty sure this chili with fresh avocado on top is one of my favorite things ever. The broth thickens and develops such a rich, comforting flavor spiked with cumin and smoked paprika. And I love the combination of black beans and sweet potato together. Not to mention they look like a festive, color-themed meal for Halloween – perfect for warming you up after those chilly trick-or-treat shenanigans. Truly hope you enjoy this recipe as much as our family!
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make this! I love seeing your recreations. (Or leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- 1 onion
- 1 large sweet potato
- 4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 15 oz. can pinto beans (or kidney, black, etc.)
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- Avocado, cilantro, green onion, hot sauce, vegan sour cream, etc.
- Dice onion. Peel and dice sweet potato. Mince garlic.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, saute onion for 6-7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. broth/water for no-oil saute method.)
- Add chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and sweet potato cubes. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth and diced tomatoes with juice.
- Rinse and drain beans. Add to stockpot.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil. Then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 25 minutes (or until sweet potatoes are cooked through), stirring occasionally.
- Salt to taste and add any desired toppings (avocado is my favorite!)
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili? Also check out this Red Lentil & Sweet Potato Stew, Asparagus Mushroom Stir Fry, or this roundup of 50 Awesome Vegan Black Bean Recipes for more black bean goodness.