Our family’s favorite chili! This wonderfully satisfying Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili is super easy to make and full of rich, cozy flavors. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
Hugging a warm bowl of chili comforts the soul. And this cozy vegan chili combines creamy sweet potatoes and hearty beans for a meat-free version. Then it’s spiced with rich, comforting flavors.
It’s so satisfying and also simple to make. We like it best served with avocado chunks and fresh cilantro.
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- Sweet potato
- Black beans
- Pinto beans (or another can of black beans)
- Canned diced tomatoes (fire-roasted if desired)
- Vegetable broth
- Chili powder (I use mild)
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
This chili topped with fresh avocado is one of my favorite things. Truly hope you enjoy this recipe as much as our family!
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- 1 onion
- 1 large sweet potato
- 4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 15 oz. can pinto beans (or kidney, black, etc.)
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- Avocado, cilantro, green onion, hot sauce, vegan sour cream, etc.
- Dice onion. Peel and dice sweet potato. Mince garlic.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, saute onion for 6-7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. broth/water for no-oil saute method.)
- Add chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and sweet potato cubes. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth and diced tomatoes with juice.
- Rinse and drain beans. Add to stockpot.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil. Then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 25 minutes (or until sweet potatoes are cooked through), stirring occasionally.
- Salt to taste and add any desired toppings (avocado is my favorite!)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you’re enjoying this Sweet Potato Chili, also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this recipe! I love seeing your creations. (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)