Pretty sure this chili with fresh avocado on top is one of my favorite things ever. The broth thickens and develops such a rich, comforting flavor spiked with cumin and smoked paprika. And I love the combination of black beans and sweet potato together. Not to mention they look like a festive, color-themed meal for Halloween – perfect for warming you up after those chilly trick-or-treat shenanigans. Truly hope you enjoy this recipe as much as our family!
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram 🍓 and share a pic if you make this! I love seeing your recreations.
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- 1 onion
- 1 large sweet potato
- 4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 15 oz. can pinto beans (or kidney, black, etc.)
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- Avocado, cilantro, green onion, hot sauce, vegan sour cream, etc.
- Dice onion. Peel and dice sweet potato. Mince garlic.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, saute onion for 6-7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. broth/water for no-oil saute method.)
- Add chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and sweet potato cubes. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth and diced tomatoes with juice.
- Rinse and drain beans. Add to stockpot.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil. Then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 25 minutes (or until sweet potatoes are cooked through), stirring occasionally.
- Salt to taste and add any desired toppings (avocado is my favorite!)
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)