Cozy, hearty Lentil Soup with potato, kale, and flavorful spices will help nourish and warm you from the inside out!
I’m a little lentil-crazy right now and just posted this huge Lentil Recipe Round-Up in celebration of International Year of the Pulses, but I couldn’t resist sneaking in one more delicious soup recipe before the weather warms up. This is actually a remix of one of my most-made recipes: Lentil Spinach Soup. We’re getting ready for a cross-country move so I’ve been cleaning out the pantry and this is a fantastic meal for pantry staples.
Garlic, cumin, and smoked paprika bring lots of delicious, cozy flavor. And I also love the addition of kale and potato for extra nutrients and texture. It’s easy, healthy, budget-friendly, great for leftovers and packed lunches, and only 10 simple ingredients. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your recreations. (Or leave a review/star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Lentil Kale & Potato Soup
- 1 onion
- 3 carrots
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 2 cups green or brown lentils (dry, uncooked)
- 2 medium potatoes (I use gold)
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth + 3 cups water
- 1 small bunch kale
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more to taste)
- Dice onion, carrot, and potato.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, saute onion and carrot for about 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and rinse lentils.
- Add potatoes, garlic, cumin, paprika, and salt to stockpot. Saute 1 minute.
- Add 4 cups broth, 3 cups water, tomatoes with juice, and lentils.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Meanwhile, roughly tear kale into bite-size pieces, stems removed.
- Stir in kale during last couple minutes of cooking.
- Additional salt to taste if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
If you’re enjoying this Lentil Kale Soup, also feel free to check out the full “Vegan Soup” recipe archives on the site for more plant based inspiration! (Or this cozy Lentil Orzo Spinach Soup or Nutrient-Packed Quinoa Soup.)