I’m a little lentil-crazy right now and just posted this huge Lentil Round-Up in celebration of International Year of the Pulses, but I couldn’t resist sneaking in one more delicious soup recipe before the weather warms up. This is actually a remix of one of my most-made recipes: Lentil Spinach Soup. We’re getting ready for a cross-country move so I’ve been cleaning out the pantry and this is one fantastic meal for pantry staples. All you need is some garlic, cumin, and smoked paprika to take it to that next level. And I love the addition of kale and potato for extra nutrients and texture. It’s easy, healthy, budget-friendly, great for leftovers and packed lunches, and only 10 simple ingredients. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Lentil Kale & Potato Soup
Cozy, hearty Lentil Soup with potato, kale, and flavorful spices to warm & nourish you from the inside out!
Servings:8 medium bowls
- 1 onion
- 3 carrots
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 2 cups green or brown lentils (dry, uncooked)
- 2 medium potatoes (I use gold)
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth + 3 cups water
- 1 small bunch kale
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more to taste)
- Dice onion, carrot, and potato.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, saute onion and carrot for about 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and rinse lentils.
- Add potatoes, garlic, cumin, paprika, and salt to stockpot. Saute 1 minute.
- Add 4 cups broth, 3 cups water, tomatoes with juice, and lentils.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Meanwhile, roughly tear kale into bite-size pieces, stems removed.
- Stir in kale during last couple minutes of cooking.
- Additional salt to taste if desired.
I enjoy my soups pretty thick. I you prefer it thinner, reduce lentils (to 1 or 1.5 cups) or add more broth/water during cooking as desired. This makes a large batch, so halve or decrease if needed!
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Calories: 230kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Potassium: 914mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 5180IU | Vitamin C: 24.4mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 6.6mg