Nourishing Lentil Soup with potato, kale, and flavorful spices! Warm, cozy, and packed with satisfying plant-based nutrients. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
I realize I’m a little lentil-crazy right now after just posting this huge Lentil Recipe Round-Up in celebration of 2016 being declared “International Year of the Pulses”. But I couldn’t resist sneaking in one more soup recipe before the weather warms up. This is actually a remix of one of my most-made recipes, Lentil Spinach Soup.
The combination of garlic, cumin, and smoked paprika brings tons of delicious, cozy flavor. And I also love kale and potato for extra nutrients and texture. This soup is easy, healthy, budget-friendly, great for leftovers and packed lunches. Plus it’s only 10 simple ingredients, so it’s great go-to soup for weeknights when you’re not sure what to make. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)
Lentil Kale & Potato Soup
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 medium gold potatoes (about 2 heaping cups cubed)
- 1 cup green/brown lentils, uncooked
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 5 cups vegetable broth (or 4 cups broth + 1 cup water)
- 1/2 bunch kale
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Dice onion and carrot.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, saute onion and carrot for about 7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil saute method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and dice potato.
- Add garlic, potatoes, cumin, and paprika to pot. Stir and saute 1 minute.
- Add 5 cups broth, tomatoes with juice, and lentils (rinsed and drained).
- Increase heat and bring to a light boil. Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Meanwhile, roughly tear/chop kale into bite-size pieces, large stems removed.
- Stir in kale during last couple minutes of cooking. Salt/pepper to taste as desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
If you’re enjoying this Lentil Kale Potato Soup, also feel free to check out the full “Vegan Soup” recipe archives on the site for more plant based inspiration! (Or this cozy Lentil Orzo Spinach Soup or Vegetable Barley Soup.)