Curried Rice Salad with a flavorful orange-curry dressing and crunchy pistachios. Delicious dish for picnics, potlucks, and make-ahead meals. Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free and done in the time it takes the rice to cook!
Curried Rice Salad with Orange, yes! I’ve been working on this recipe for a while trying to get it just right and am finally happy to share. I love pairing flavorful curry powder with bright, citrusy orange juice. The cilantro and currants can easily be replaced with parsley and raisins (depending on your taste and what’s available).
This recipe is super easy, and only 9 ingredients. It’s basically done in the time it takes your rice to cook. Plus it’s a great dish for making ahead (think picnics, potlucks, take-along lunches, etc.) Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your recreations.
Curried Orange Rice Salad
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked, I used jasmine)
- 3 green onions
- 1/2 cup currants (or raisins)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup pistachios, shelled (more if desired)
For the orange-curry dressing:
- Juice from 1 orange (about 1/3 cup juice)
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder (I use Simply Organic brand)
- 1-2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, slice green onions and roughly chop cilantro, stems removed. Place in a medium-large mixing bowl with currants and pistachios.
- Make the dressing: in a small bowl, squeeze the juice from the orange (I use about 1/3 cup juice). Add the curry powder, maple syrup, rice vinegar, and salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- When rice is done cooking, add to bowl with cilantro, green onions, currants, and pistachios.
- Pour dressing over top and stir well to thoroughly combine.
- Can serve immediately or refrigerate for at least an hour to let flavors mellow and combine further.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Curried Orange Rice? Feel free to also check out the full “Vegan Salad” recipe archives on the site for more tasty plant based inspiration!
Or if you’re looking for another curry-flavored favorite: check out this easy, 30 minute Vegan Coconut Curry Soup!