Curried Rice Salad with a flavorful orange-curry dressing and crunchy pistachios. Delicious dish for picnics, potlucks, and make-ahead meals. Vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free… plus done in the time it takes the rice to cook!
Curried Rice Salad with Orange, yes! I’ve been working on this recipe for a while trying to get it just right and am happy to finally share. I love pairing flavorful curry powder with bright, citrusy orange juice. Deliciously flavorful!
This recipe is simple to make, and also only requires 9 ingredients. (It’s basically done in the time it takes your rice to cook!) Plus it’s a great dish for making ahead for picnics, potlucks, take-along lunches, etc. The cilantro and currants can be also replaced with parsley and raisins, depending on your taste and what’s available. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)
Curried Orange Rice Salad
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked, I used jasmine)
- 3 green onions
- 1/2 cup currants (or raisins)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup pistachios, shelled (more if desired)
For the orange-curry dressing:
- Juice from 1 orange (about 1/3 cup juice)
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder* (I use Simply Organic brand)
- 1-2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, slice green onions and roughly chop cilantro, stems removed. Place in a medium-large mixing bowl with currants and pistachios.
- Make the dressing: in a small bowl, squeeze the juice from the orange (I use about 1/3 cup juice). Add the curry powder, maple syrup, rice vinegar, and salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- When rice is done cooking, add to bowl with cilantro, green onions, currants, and pistachios.
- Pour dressing over top and stir well to thoroughly combine.
- Can serve immediately or refrigerate for at least an hour to let flavors mellow and combine further.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
If you’re enjoying this orange rice salad and looking for other curry-flavored favorites, also check out this easy 30 minute Coconut Curry Lentil Soup, Vegan Butter Chickpeas or Coconut Curry Vegetable Soup!