Classic scalloped potatoes get a healthy make-over! These Cheesy Vegan Scalloped Potatoes are completely dairy-free and made with whole-food plant-based ingredients… but have all the richness and creaminess of the original!
This healthier version of classic scalloped potatoes is just as creamy and delicious as the original. Except it's made with no heavy cream or butter and all whole food, plant-based ingredients.
There's so much flavor from the onions, garlic, and cheesy cashew sauce, I'm guessing people wouldn't ever guess it's as healthy as it actually is!
Ingredients for Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
For this recipe you'll need:
- Potatoes (I use Yukon gold)
- Raw cashews
- Soy milk (plain & unsweetened)
- Vegetable broth
- Nutritional yeast
- White miso
- Smoked paprika
A big pan of bubbly, creamy scalloped potatoes is always a great choice for gatherings and holidays. (Or if you're like me, to treat yourself to some comfort throughout the week.)
Before making, please check the notes below the recipe for additional info and tips!
Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- 3 1/2 lbs. potatoes (I use yukon gold)
- 2 small/medium onions
- 5 cloves garlic (or more)
For the creamy sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 2 cups plain soy milk (unsweetened)
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. white miso paste (or 1 1/2 tsp. salt)
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (or more)
- Chives, thyme, sage, rosemary, parsley, etc.
- Quick soak the cashews: in a bowl, cover the raw cashews with hot water (~160°F / 71°C) until they’re submerged. Set aside and let sit for about 10-15 minutes. (This makes them easier to blend.)*
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Dice onions and mince garlic.
- In a skillet over med-high heat, saute onions with a little salt for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth/water for no-oil saute method.) Add garlic, stir, and saute 1 more minute. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the potatoes about 1/8-inch thick. Set aside.
- Make the creamy sauce: drain water from the soaked cashews and add them to a high-powered blender with the rest of the sauce ingredients. Blend for 1 minute or until smooth.
- In a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish (lightly sprayed or buttered to help prevent sticking if desired), begin layering. Layer half the potatoes, then the entire onion/garlic mixture, then pour half the sauce on top.
- Layer the rest of the potatoes and pour the remaining sauce on top. (Potatoes should be mostly submerged – you can gently press down if needed.)
- Bake for 60 minutes or until crust is lightly golden and potatoes are cooked through.
- Add garnishes if desired and salt/pepper to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying these Vegan Scalloped Potatoes? Also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try - your feedback is always very appreciated. Thank you!)