Classic scalloped potatoes get a healthy make-over! These Vegan Scalloped Potatoes are completely dairy-free and made with whole-food plant-based ingredients… but still have all the richness and creaminess of the original!
Ever since I can remember I’ve been a huge fan of all things potato. But especially mashed (with gravy) and scalloped. Total soul-warming goodness! It took a few trial runs, but this healthier version of classic scalloped potatoes is just as creamy and delicious as I remember… except made with no heavy cream or butter and all wonderful whole food, plant-based ingredients. There’s so much flavor from the onions, garlic, and easy cheesy cashew sauce, I’m guessing people wouldn’t ever guess it’s as healthy as it actually is!
A big pan of bubbly, creamy scalloped potatoes is always a great choice for gatherings and holidays. (Or if you’re like me, to treat yourself to some comfort throughout the week.) 😉 Hope you enjoy these as much as we do. Before making, please check the notes below the recipe for additional info and tips!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Vegan Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- 3 1/2 lbs. potatoes (I use yukon gold)
- 2 small/medium onions
- 5 cloves garlic (or more)
For the creamy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 2 cups plain soy milk (unsweetened)
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. white miso paste (or 1 1/2 tsp. salt)
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (or more)
- Chives, thyme, sage, rosemary, parsley, etc.
- Quick soak the cashews: in a bowl, cover the raw cashews with hot water (~160 F) until they’re submerged. Set aside and let sit for about 10-15 minutes. (This makes them easier to blend.)*
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Dice onions and mince garlic.
- In a skillet over med-high heat, saute onions with a little salt for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth/water for no-oil saute method.) Add garlic, stir, and saute 1 more minute. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the potatoes about 1/8-inch thick. Set aside.
- Make the creamy sauce: drain water from the soaked cashews and add them to a high-powered blender with the rest of the sauce ingredients. Blend for 1 minute or until smooth.
- In a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish (lightly sprayed or buttered to help prevent sticking if desired), begin layering. Layer half the potatoes, then the entire onion/garlic mixture, then pour half the sauce on top.
- Layer the rest of the potatoes and pour the remaining sauce on top. (Potatoes should be mostly submerged – you can gently press down if needed.)
- Bake for 60 minutes or until crust is lightly golden and potatoes are cooked through.
- Add garnishes if desired and salt/pepper to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying these Vegan Scalloped Potatoes? Also feel free to check out this Lemon Garlic Orzo with Asparagus for another tasty side dish!