Simple yet satisfying Everyday Vegan Split Pea Soup. This cozy meal is a fantastic source of plant-based nutrients & protein… at a budget-friendly cost!
If you’re looking for a satisfying meal that maximizes nutrients at a budget-friendly cost… THIS is your meal! The humble split pea is an ingredient that often flies under the radar, but they’re such inexpensive, nutrient-packed powerhouses. Just one cup of uncooked split peas has 48 grams protein, plus lots of fiber, potassium, iron, magnesium, etc. And it only cost $0.34 from the bulk bins at our local food co-op which makes for a pretty awesome budget-buy. (Read more on split pea benefits & nutritional content here.)
This simple soup is a great, satisfying way to work in this under-utilized ingredient so you can soak up all the nutritional benefits at a super-low cost. (They make an appearance in this Smoky Split Pea & Sweet Potato Soup which is a family-favorite as well.) Hope you enjoy!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your recreations.
Everyday Split Pea Soup
- 1 cup split peas (yellow or green, uncooked)
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 carrots
- 2-3 stalks celery
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (plus 1 cup water)
- 3/4 tsp. dried basil
- 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Dice onion.
- In a large stockpot over med-high heat, saute onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use about 3 Tbsp. broth/water for no-oil saute.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic, and dice carrots and celery.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic, carrots, celery, and basil. Stir and saute 1-2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes (with juice), vegetable broth, and 1 cup water (or more broth).
- Rinse split peas very well and add to pot. Stir.
- Bring to a light boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45-50 minutes or until split peas are tender. (They should still have a slight bite – not mushy.)
- Stir in spinach (roughly chopped if desired) during last minute of cooking. Be sure to salt/pepper to taste before serving to help enhance the flavors.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Everyday Split Pea Soup? Feel free to also check out the full “Vegan Soup” recipe archives on the site for more plant-based inspiration!