Simple yet satisfying Everyday Vegan Split Pea Soup. This cozy meal is a fantastic source of plant-based nutrients & protein... at a budget-friendly cost!
If you're looking for a satisfying meal that maximizes nutrients at a budget-friendly cost, this is your meal! The humble split pea is an ingredient that often flies under the radar, but they're such inexpensive, nutrient-packed powerhouses.
Just one cup of uncooked split peas has about 48 grams of protein. Plus lots of fiber, potassium, iron, magnesium, etc. For us, it only cost $0.34 from the bulk bins at our local food co-op which makes for a pretty awesome budget-buy. (Read more on split pea benefits & nutritional content here.)
This simple soup is a great, satisfying way to use this under-utilized ingredient. (They make an appearance in this Smoky Split Pea & Sweet Potato Soup which is a family-favorite as well.)
We opted for yellow split peas, but the more-typical green split pea works wonderfully too.
Everyday Split Pea Soup
- 1 cup split peas (yellow or green, uncooked)
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 carrots
- 2-3 stalks celery
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (plus 1 cup water)
- 3/4 tsp. dried basil
- 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Dice onion.
- In a large stockpot over med-high heat, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use about 3 Tbsp. broth/water for no-oil sauté.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic, and dice carrots and celery.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic, carrots, celery, and basil. Stir and sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes (with juice), vegetable broth, and 1 cup water (or more broth).
- Rinse split peas very well and add to pot. Stir.
- Bring to a light boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45-50 minutes or until split peas are tender. (They should still have a slight bite - not mushy.)
- Stir in spinach (roughly chopped if desired) during last minute of cooking. Be sure to salt/pepper to taste before serving to help enhance the flavors.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying this Everyday Split Pea Soup? Also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try - your feedback is always very appreciated. Thank you!)