Easy Vegan Southwest Soup with black beans, sweet corn, and delicious fiesta-style flavors. Only 10 simple ingredients, 30 minutes, and a satisfying vegan weeknight meal!
This easy southwestern soup is a fiesta in a bowl! A satisfying blend of hearty black beans, southwestern-style flavors, and fresh colorful veggies.
Plus it’s only 1 pot, 10 ingredients, and 30 minutes to make which is perfect for busy weeknights. Stir in some cooked brown rice or quinoa before serving to make it even more substantial and nutrient-packed.
The recipe is mild as written (if using a regular/mild chili powder). Simply add more chili powder, chipotle, or hot sauce if looking to spice it up! Plus I love how everyone can have fun personalizing theirs with their own favorite toppings. I pile mine high with avocado, tomato, cilantro, and green onion.
For more inspiration, check out 15 Best Easy Vegan Weeknight Meals.
Southwest Black Bean Soup
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper (I use red or orange)
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 30 oz. canned black beans (two 15 oz. cans or 3 cups cooked beans)
- 1 1/2 cups sweet corn (or a 15 oz. can)
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
Toppings of choice (optional):
- Avocado, cilantro, green onion, tomato, tortilla strips, jalapeno, hot sauce, nutritional yeast, cashew sour cream, fresh lime juice
- Dice onion and bell pepper.
- In a large stockpot over med-high heat, saute onion and bell pepper for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. veggie broth/water for no-oil saute method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- When onions are translucent, add garlic, cumin, chili powder, and smoked paprika. Stir and saute for 1 minute.
- Add broth, diced tomatoes with juice, corn, and black beans (rinsed and drained).
- Bring to a light boil. Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Salt to taste, and garnish with desired toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying this Southwest Soup? Also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is always very appreciated. Thank you!)