EASY Vegan Southwest Soup with black beans, sweet corn, and delicious fiesta flavors. Only 10 simple ingredients, 30 minutes, and a satisfying vegan weeknight meal!
This EASY southwestern soup is a fiesta in a bowl! A satisfying blend of hearty black beans, southwestern flavors, and fresh colorful veggies. Plus it’s only 1 pot, 10 ingredients, and 30 minutes to make which is perfect for busy weeknights. Stir in some cooked brown rice or quinoa before serving to make it even more substantial and nutrient-packed!
The recipe is mild as written (if using a regular/mild chili powder). Simply add more chili powder, chipotle, or hot sauce if looking to spice it up! Plus I love how everyone can have fun personalizing theirs with their own favorite toppings. I pile mine high with avocado, tomato, cilantro, and green onion. Hope you enjoy this quick and easy meal as well! And if you’re looking for more inspiration, check out the 15 Best Easy Vegan Weeknight Meals roundup!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Southwest Black Bean Soup
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper (I use red or orange)
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Two 15 oz. cans black beans (or 3 cups cooked beans)
- 1 1/2 cups corn (or a 15 oz. can)
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
Toppings of choice (optional):
- Avocado, cilantro, green onion, tomato, tortilla strips, jalapeno, hot sauce, nutritional yeast, cashew sour cream, fresh lime juice
- Dice onion and bell pepper.
- In a large stockpot over med-high heat, saute onion and bell pepper for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. veggie broth/water for no-oil saute method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- When onions are translucent, add garlic, cumin, chili powder, and smoked paprika. Stir and saute for 1 minute.
- Add broth, diced tomatoes with juice, corn, and black beans (rinsed and drained).
- Bring to a light boil. Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Salt to taste, and garnish with desired toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Southwest Soup? Feel free to also check out the full “Mexican Inspired” vegan recipe archives on the site for more plant based inspiration!