These Cheesy Nacho Roasted Chickpeas only take a couple minutes to prepare and are packed with delicious, savory flavor. Perfect for healthy snacks, salads, wraps, etc. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
These tasty little morsels are like cheesy nachos... but in chickpea form!
They are savory, crunchy, and only five ingredients.
I recently started sprinkling nutritional yeast on our roasted chickpeas and we are loving the results.
Plus these are great for back-to-school season for quick, healthy snacks and lunchbox additions.
Roasted chickpeas are a common request from my daughter. So luckily they are so easy to pop in the oven right after school!
Ingredients for Cheesy Roasted Chickpeas
For this recipe you will toss together then bake in the oven:
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans): You will need two 15 ounce cans of cooked chickpeas for this recipe. Or if you make your own from scratch, you will need about 3 cups cooked chickpeas.
- Nutritional yeast: This is what gives the recipe a cheesy, savory flavor.
- Chili powder: I use mild chili powder, either from the "Simply Organic" brand or whatever is in the bulk bins at our local food co-op. Be aware that chili powder can vary in spiciness depending on how much cayenne pepper is included.
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Salt: I use fine grain salt for this recipe.
- Smoked paprika: This is optional, but I really enjoy it for a little warm smokiness.
Have taco seasoning on hand? You can also swap in 1-2 tablespoons of Homemade Taco Seasoning blend instead of the chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and paprika listed in the recipe.
The best part is these cheesy roasted chickpeas are incredibly versatile and you can customize them with your own favorite flavors. A few suggestions include:
Make it spicy: Stir in a tiny dash of cayenne pepper or ground chipotle powder for a kick. (Be sure to start small as it is strong!)
Other seasonings: Change these up as you see fit. Omit any spices + seasonings you don't enjoy, or add taco seasoning, dried oregano, etc.
Add oil: I use an oil-free roasting method simply by lining my sheet pan with parchment paper. However, feel free to toss your chickpea mixture with a tablespoon of good quality olive oil before baking if desired.
How to Enjoy
- Snacking: This is my daughter's favorite way to enjoy them. Nice and warm right off the sheet pan!
- Wraps + burritos: The chickpeas are a great base for wraps and burritos. (Plus include a good source of plant-based protein and fiber.)
- Salad toppers: Try sprinkling some on your favorite salads. They are like flavorful, healthier, protein-rich croutons!
- Rice bowls: Include them in a rice bowl or grain bowl with roasted veggies and a flavorful sauce or dressing on top.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep for about 3 days. (However they do lose their crispiness and soften up when stored.)
Looking for another variation? Try these Smoky Roasted Chickpeas too!
For more inspiration, also browse all chickpea recipes.
Cheesy Nacho Roasted Chickpeas
- 30 oz. chickpeas (two 15 oz. cans)
- 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- Optional: smoked paprika or chipotle powder for a kick (start small, it’s strong!)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a rimmed baking pan with parchment paper (or Silpat). Set aside.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. Lightly pat them dry on a towel. (Removing excess moisture helps them become crispier.)
- Add chickpeas and all ingredients to a medium bowl. Stir to thoroughly combine and coat.
- Spread out the seasoned chickpeas on the baking pan. (Give the pan a little shake, and they’ll naturally spread out.)
- Bake for about 25 minutes (or until desired crispiness) stirring halfway through.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan cheesy nacho roasted chickpeas recipe, also check out: