This easy homemade taco seasoning recipe is a tasty blend of bold, rich flavor. Perfect seasoning for tacos, burritos, fajitas, soup, beans, vegetables, and more!
Store-bought seasoning packets are convenient but nothing beats the freshness and versatility of making your own spice blends right at home.
This quick & easy taco seasoning recipe is a great way to save money and control the ingredients (because it has no additives or excess sodium). Plus it's made with ingredients you likely already have in your pantry.
Homemade Taco Seasoning Ingredients
You will need the following spices for this seasoning mix:
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Dried oregano
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
If you like your taco seasoning spicy, add cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes. Ground chipotle is also a great twist and I love the added smokiness.
How to Make Taco Seasoning
To make your taco seasoning, simply combine the ingredients and then shake/stir to mix it together. This recipe yields about 3 Tbsp. which is roughly the equivalent of one store-bought packet.
However I often make a larger batch, tripling or quadrupling the recipe. Then store it in a sealed jar in our pantry to have on hand whenever needed - super convenient!
Recipes with Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Chickpea-Walnut Taco Crumbles (pictured above)
- Portobello Fajitas (a favorite!)
- Black Bean Lentil Taco Soup
- Vegan Taco Salad with Southwestern Dressing
- Black Bean + Quinoa Fajita Burritos (freezer-friendly)
- Black Bean Tempeh Tacos
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder*
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika (or regular)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (or up to 1/2 tsp. if desired)
Optional spicy additions:
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, a dash of cayenne pepper, or a dash of ground chipotle
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl or jar. Stir/shake until thoroughly combined.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container for later use. (It keeps for several months.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share photos of your favorite ways to use this seasoning!