This Broccoli Quinoa Casserole is inspired by the classic comfort dish Broccoli Rice Casserole. It’s a healthier, nutrient-packed remake that leaves out the butter, condensed soup, and is totally vegan!
My inspiration for this recipe was wanting to create a healthier remake of the classic comfort dish “Broccoli Rice Casserole”. But this recipe leaves out the butter, cans of condensed soup, and uses quinoa instead of rice for a nutritional boost. The result is a satisfying pan of savory casserole deliciousness!
Even though it’s inspired by broccoli rice casserole, it’s not your typical ooey-gooey casserole. We love it just the way it is, but adding 1-2 flax eggs to the mix before baking will help achieve a little bit more of a typical casserole consistency if that’s what you prefer. (To make a flax egg, simply mix together 1 Tbsp. ground flax meal with 3 Tbsp. warm water. Stir and let sit a few minutes, and it will thicken to an egg-like consistency.) Hope you enjoy as well!
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations.
Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Casserole
- 1 1/2 cups white quinoa (uncooked)
- 1/2 onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 large head broccoli (or 3-4 cups broccoli florets)
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups vegan cheddar shreds (plus more for topping if desired)
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1-2 flax eggs* (optional)
- Rinse quinoa well. Simmer covered in 3 cups water (or veggie broth for more flavor) for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, dice onion and mushrooms. Mince garlic. Chop broccoli florets.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Saute onion and mushrooms over medium-high heat for about 5-7 minutes or until slightly softened. Remove any extra liquid from the mushrooms.
- Steam broccoli for 2-3 minutes. (Or simply saute in the skillet you cooked the onion and mushrooms in.)
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients with the cooked quinoa (and flax egg if using). Mix well.
- Add mixture to a 9×13" baking dish (lightly sprayed if desired). Spread out evenly and lightly press down. Sprinkle additional cheese on top if desired.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Broccoli Quinoa Casserole? Feel free to also check out the full “Main Dish” recipe archives on the site for more plant-based inspiration!