This Broccoli Quinoa Casserole is inspired by the classic comfort dish Broccoli Rice Casserole. But this version is a healthier remake that leaves out the butter and condensed soup. Plus it is also vegan and gluten-free!
This Broccoli Quinoa Casserole is a healthier remake of the classic comfort dish "Broccoli Rice Casserole".
But this recipe leaves out the butter, cans of condensed soup, and uses quinoa instead of rice for a nutritional boost. The result is so satisfying and savory!
Ingredients for Broccoli Quinoa Casserole
For this recipe you will need:
- White quinoa
- Fresh broccoli
- Mushrooms: I use cremini, but you can also use white button, etc.
- Vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- Smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
This recipe is inspired by broccoli rice casserole, but it's not your typical super creamy casserole.
However adding flax eggs to the mix helps achieve more of a creamy consistency. (See notes below.)
Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Casserole
- 1 1/2 cups white quinoa (uncooked)
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 large head broccoli (or 3-4 cups broccoli florets)
- 8 oz. mushrooms (I use cremini)
- 1 1/2 cups vegan cheddar shreds (plus more for topping if desired)
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1-2 flax eggs* (optional)
- Rinse quinoa well. Simmer covered in 3 cups water (or veggie broth for more flavor) for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, dice onion and mushrooms. Mince garlic. Chop broccoli florets.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Sauté onion and mushrooms over medium-high heat for about 5-7 minutes or until slightly softened. Remove any extra liquid from the mushrooms.
- Steam broccoli for 2-3 minutes. (Or simply sauté in the skillet you cooked the onion and mushrooms in.)
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients with the cooked quinoa (and flax egg if using). Mix well.
- Add mixture to a 9x13" baking dish (lightly sprayed if desired). Spread out evenly and lightly press down. Sprinkle additional cheese on top if desired.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Broccoli Quinoa Casserole, also check out:
- Broccoli Cashew Stir Fry
- Loaded Veggie & Black Bean Quesadillas
- Asian Style Toasted Quinoa with Mushrooms