Savory, protein-packed Vegan Green Enchiladas! An easy, satisfying weeknight meal made with hearty white beans, edamame, and sweet corn, then topped with beautiful salsa verde.
These Vegan Green Enchiladas are somewhat of an unconventional twist on enchiladas, but we find them to be so delicious! Edamame, cannellini beans, plus sweet corn join together for the protein-packed filling. Then they’re rolled up and smothered with beautiful, savory salsa verde before baking. We really love the interesting combination of flavors and also find them to be pleasantly satisfying. (Not to mention a great, easy weeknight meal!)
Customize Your Green Enchiladas
If you’re not a fan of edamame (or can’t find it) simply substitute with an additional can of white beans. Also be mindful about the spiciness level you prefer. I use mild green chiles and mild salsa verde, but you can absolutely give them a nice kick by using medium (or by adding vegan pepper jack cheese). Corn tortillas are also really lovely with this recipe – see notes below for assembling that version. Hope you enjoy as much as we do!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make or adapt these! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is always greatly appreciated – thank you!)
Vegan Green Enchiladas with White Beans
- 1 onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 4 oz. diced green chiles (I use mild)
- 2 cups shelled edamame (10 oz. frozen bag, shelled)
- 1 cup sweet corn (frozen, canned, or freshly cooked)
- 15 oz. can cannellini beans
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 16 oz. salsa verde/tomatillo salsa (I use mild)
- 8 large tortillas* (gluten-free if desired)
- Vegan shredded cheese, nutritional yeast, and/or sliced vegan pepper jack cheese
- Fresh cilantro, avocado for serving
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Dice onion.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/veggie broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more liquid as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic. When onions are translucent, add garlic, cumin, and green chiles. Stir and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add corn and shelled edamame (can use frozen of each – no need to thaw first). Stir and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Add white beans (rinsed and drained) and roughly chopped spinach. Stir to combine and turn off stove.
- Distribute the bean mixture evenly down the center of each tortilla. Top with a sprinkle of vegan shredded cheese or nutritional yeast (optional). Then roll up tightly, tucking in both ends.
- Place enchiladas seam side down in a 9×13" pan. Evenly coat the top with salsa verde.
- Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes. (If using vegan pepper jack cheese, place slices on top of enchiladas during last 10-15 minutes of cooking.) Add any desired toppings before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
If you’re enjoying these Vegan Green Enchiladas, also check out a few of our other favorite enchilada recipes:
Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas
Protein Monster Vegan Enchiladas
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Easy Vegan Bean Enchiladas
(Or also keep the fiesta going with this roundup of “Ultimate List of Vegan Mexican Recipes” which has a large variety of 110+ Mexican-inspired recipes.)