These satisfying vegan enchiladas are made with a combination of refried beans and black beans. They're so quick and easy to assemble. Then just add your favorite toppings! (Vegan, gluten-free option.)
These vegan refried bean enchiladas are perfect when you want a quick, simple meal that satisfies.
They're easy to assemble and great for weeknights.
Plus each enchilada has about 17 grams of plant protein!
We find they're great served with a side of tortilla chips and our favorite restaurant-style blender salsa.
Ingredients for Vegan Bean Enchiladas
For this recipe you will combine then bake in the oven:
- Yellow onion: Or you can use sweet onion or white onion instead.
- Fresh garlic cloves: Or substitute dried garlic powder if desired.
- Refried beans: Be sure to find vegan-style as most traditional refried beans are made with lard. Most often I use "Amy's" brand.
- Black beans: Or substitute pinto beans or kidney beans.
- Large flour tortillas: Use gluten-free tortillas if desired. I try to find whole grain when possible. You can also use corn tortillas instead.
- Enchilada sauce: Originally for this recipe, I used a 10-ounce can of store-bought red enchilada sauce which worked great. But now I whisk together our favorite homemade enchilada sauce instead. (The homemade sauce recipe yields about 3 cups which is more than sufficient for this recipe. So only pour as much as desired.)
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika: Or change this up with your own seasonings of choice. You can add chili powder, or simply use this homemade Taco Seasoning blend instead.
- Optional: Vegan cheese shreds and desired toppings (see below for ideas).
Make it spicy: This recipe is mild as written (if using a mild enchilada sauce). So spice it up with jalapeno, chipotle in adobo sauce, cayenne pepper, or medium green chiles. Or simply top with your favorite hot sauce before serving.
Vegetables: Add other veggies as you see fit such as bell pepper, sweet corn, or diced tomato.
Make it "meaty": Include your favorite vegan ground beef crumbles to the mixture. Cook these separately according to package instructions. Then either stir it into the bean mixture in the skillet, or spoon it down the center of the tortillas before rolling up.
Make it cheesy: Add nutritional yeast or sprinkle vegan cheddar cheese shreds if desired. You can either add this to the filling before rolling up, or top the enchiladas with cheese during the last 10-15 minutes of baking time.
Enjoy these enchiladas as is, or add your favorite toppings. A few ideas include:
- Green onion
- Fresh tomato
- Avocado or guacamole
- Fresh cilantro
- Hot sauce
- Nutritional yeast
- Vegan sour cream
Tip: This Cilantro-Lime Brown Rice is also a great pairing on the side!
For more inspiration, also browse all easy vegan dinner recipes.
Vegan Refried Bean Enchiladas
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can refried beans (vegan*)
- 30 oz. can black beans (two 15 oz. cans)
- 6 large burrito-size tortillas (gluten-free if desired)
- 10 oz. can enchilada sauce (or homemade)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Optional: 1 cup vegan cheese shreds (more/less as desired)
- Green onions, tomatoes, cilantro, avocado/guacamole, hot sauce, nutritional yeast, vegan sour cream
- Preheat oven to 325°F (162°C).
- Dice onion. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth/water for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic. When onion is translucent, add garlic, cumin, and smoked paprika. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Lower heat to medium-low. Add refried beans and stir until beans soften.
- Rinse and drain black beans. Add to pan, and stir to combine. Salt to taste if desired and turn off heat.
- Evenly distribute bean mixture to the center of each tortilla.
- Sprinkle vegan shredded cheese on top of the bean mixture (optional), then roll them up tightly with ends tucked in.
- Pour a small amount of enchilada sauce to coat the bottom of a 9" x 13" baking dish. Then place enchiladas seam side down.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top. Sprinkle with vegan cheese (optional).
- Bake for 25 minutes. Add any desired toppings before serving. (I love the works - avocado, green onion, tomato, hot sauce, and nutritional yeast.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying these Vegan Refried Bean Enchiladas with black beans, also browse all enchilada recipes, or check out: