These satisfying vegan enchiladas are made with a combination of refried beans and black beans. They are quick and easy to assemble, and then just add your favorite toppings! (Vegan with gluten-free option.)
These vegan bean enchiladas are a basic recipe I have made many times when we want a quick, simple meal that satisfies us.
Plus it is easy to assemble making it perfect for weeknights.
The recipe is mild as written (if using mild enchilada sauce) but feel free to spice it up with chipotle, hot sauce, medium green chiles, etc.
We find it is great served with a side of tortilla chips and our favorite restaurant-style blender salsa.
Ingredients for Vegan Bean Enchiladas
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion
- Refried beans: Be sure to find vegan-style as most traditional refried beans are made with lard.
- Black beans
- Large tortillas: Use gluten-free if desired.
- Enchilada sauce
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
- Optional: vegan cheese shreds and desired toppings
When I first made these, I used a 10 oz. can store-bought enchilada sauce.
But now I use our favorite homemade enchilada sauce. (The sauce recipe yields about 3 cups which is more than sufficient for this recipe. Only use as much as desired.)
How to Serve
Enjoy these enchiladas as is, or serve with your favorite toppings:
- Green onion
- Avocado or guacamole
- Fresh cilantro
- Hot sauce
- Nutritional yeast
- Vegan sour cream
Easy Vegan Bean Enchiladas
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can refried beans (vegan*)
- 30 oz. can black beans (two 15 oz. cans)
- 6 large burrito-size tortillas (gluten-free if desired)
- 10 oz. can enchilada sauce (or homemade)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Optional: 1 cup vegan cheese shreds (more/less as desired)
- Green onions, tomatoes, cilantro, avocado/guacamole, hot sauce, nutritional yeast, vegan sour cream
- Preheat oven to 325°F (162°C).
- Dice onion. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth/water for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic. When onion is translucent, add garlic, cumin, and smoked paprika. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Lower heat to medium-low. Add refried beans and stir until beans soften.
- Rinse and drain black beans. Add to pan, and stir to combine. Salt to taste if desired and turn off heat.
- Evenly distribute bean mixture to the center of each tortilla.
- Sprinkle vegan shredded cheese on top of the bean mixture (optional), then roll them up tightly with ends tucked in.
- Pour a small amount of enchilada sauce to coat the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Then place enchiladas seam side down.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top. Sprinkle with vegan cheese (optional).
- Bake for 25 minutes. Add any desired toppings before serving. (I love the works - avocado, green onion, tomato, hot sauce, and nutritional yeast.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying these Vegan Refried Bean Enchiladas with black beans, also browse all enchilada recipes, or check out: