EASY, 30-minute Hearty Vegan Chili! Thick, flavorful, and delicious – perfect cold weather comfort food! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
Chilly? Chili! The award for ultimate cold-weather comfort food definitely goes to chili. Thick, dense goodness that warms you from the inside out. I love hugging a bowl in front of the fire on chilly days. This recipe is super satisfying with hearty beans and veggies in a thick, flavorful tomato sauce. And bonus: it only takes 30 minutes to make!
I keep our version mild (toddler in the house) so add cayenne pepper or chipotle if you want to kick it up. (I do love the addition of smoky chipotle!) And of course feel free to also play around with other veggies. I really like adding tender zucchini. Or you can try butternut squash, sweet potato, or corn for a little sweetness. Hope you enjoy this simple, comforting chili as much as we do!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Hearty Vegan Chili (30 Minute)
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 15 oz. can kidney beans
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (I use petite diced)
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder (use mild, or cut back if desired)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. oregano
- Salt to taste
- Optional: cayenne pepper or chipotle powder for a kick
Toppings of choice (optional)
- Green onion, avocado, cilantro, vegan sour cream, etc.
- Dice onion and bell pepper.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, saute onion and bell pepper in water/broth for about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic. When onion is translucent, add garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and oregano. Stir and saute 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth, tomatoes with juice, and tomato paste. Bring to a light boil.
- Meanwhile, rinse and drain beans.
- Add beans, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Serve with toppings of choice.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Vegan Chili? Feel free to also browse the full “Vegan Soup” recipes archives on the site for more cozy plant based inspiration!