EASY, 30-minute Hearty Vegan Chili! Thick, flavorful, and delicious – perfect cold weather comfort food. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
Chilly? Chili! The award for ultimate cold-weather comfort food definitely goes to chili. Thick, dense goodness that warms you from the inside out. I love hugging a bowl in front of the fire on chilly days.
This recipe is super satisfying with hearty beans and veggies in a thick, flavorful tomato sauce. And bonus: it only takes 30 minutes to make.
I keep our version mild (toddler in the house) so add cayenne pepper or chipotle if you want to kick it up. I do love the addition of smoky chipotle!
And of course feel free to also play around with other veggies. I enjoy adding tender zucchini. Or you can try butternut squash, sweet potato, or corn for a little sweetness
Hearty Vegan Chili (30 Minute)
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 15 oz. can kidney beans
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (I use petite diced)
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder (use mild, or cut back if desired)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt to taste
- Optional: cayenne pepper or chipotle powder for a kick
Toppings of choice (optional):
- Green onion, avocado, cilantro, vegan sour cream, etc.
- Dice onion and bell pepper.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, saute onion and bell pepper in water/broth for about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic. When onion is translucent, add garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and oregano. Stir and saute 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth, tomatoes with juice, and tomato paste. Bring to a light boil.
- Meanwhile, rinse and drain beans.
- Add beans, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Serve with toppings of choice.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying this Vegan Chili? Feel free to also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)