Hearty Lentil Potato Soup with mushrooms and herbs! The rich, savory flavors remind me of a vegan version of classic beef stew! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
I’m tempted to dazzle you with a bunch of super cool lentil facts but I’ll refrain 😉 Let’s keep it short and sweet: lentils ROCK. They’re easy to cook, packed with nutrients and protein, satisfying, and budget-friendly (yay!) This recipe is adapted from one of my favorites: Lentil Spinach Soup. Any form of lentil soup is a win in my book, but this one feels extra hearty and wonderfully rustic with chunks of potato, carrot, and mushroom. It reminds me of a veganized version of classic beef stew!
Bonus? The leftovers are delicious. The broth becomes even richer and more flavorful the next day. (Which is great news because I’m a soup-for-breakfast kind of girl.) As always, soup is beautifully versatile so have fun playing around with your own variations. Hope you enjoy!
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram 🍓 and share a pic if you make this! I love seeing your recreations.
Rustic Lentil & Potato Soup
- 1 onion
- 1 large carrot
- 6 oz. mushrooms
- 1 medium potato (about 1.5 cups diced)
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth (plus 1 cup water)
- 2 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 cup green/brown lentils, uncooked
- 1 cup spinach, more as desired
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 3/4 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt to taste
- Prepare the veggies: dice onion and carrot. Mince garlic. Slice mushrooms. Dice potatoes into about 3/4″ chunks.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, saute onion for 5 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil-saute method.)
- Add potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and dried thyme & parsley. Stir and saute 3-4 more minutes.
- Add garlic. Stir and saute 1 minute.
- Add 4 cups broth, 1 cup water, and tamari. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add lentils (rinsed). Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Add more broth/water if desired.
- Stir in roughly chopped spinach during the last couple minutes of cooking. Salt/pepper to taste or add more tamari.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Lentil Potato Soup? Feel free to also check out the full “Vegan Soup” recipe archives on the site for more plant-based inspiration!