Ultra-cozy tomato lentil soup that’ll warm you from the inside out! Fire-roasted tomatoes & smoked paprika add a double dose of smokiness to this simple, satisfying meal.
Cozy comfort in a bowl! This vegan Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup warms & soothes my soul. It combines a double dose of two delicious smoky flavors – fire-roasted tomatoes and smoked paprika. (You could even add a tiny bit of chipotle if you’re feeling extra smoky and don’t mind the heat.)
I love that it comes together in just a few easy steps and only 8 simple, plant-based ingredients. As with most soups, I enjoy tossing in some nutrient-packed greens for good measure (and beautiful color) towards the end. Always a nice boost of fresh nutrients!
I make a lot of soup and this one’s been pretty heavy in the rotation during this extra-chilly winter. There are several variations I’ve played around with and it’s a great recipe to customize to your taste. Try kale instead of spinach, add zucchini, rice, quinoa, white beans, etc. Hope it warms you as well!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your recreations. (Or leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1.5 tsp. – 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 15 oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. can regular diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry green/brown lentils (uncooked)
- 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach (or kale)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Fresh basil or parsley for serving
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over med-high heat, add onion and saute for about 8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil saute method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic and smoked paprika. Stir and cook 1 minute.
- Add both diced tomatoes (with juice) and vegetable broth.
- Rinse lentils add add to pot.
- Bring to a light boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 30-35 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in spinach during the last couple minutes of cooking.
- Salt/pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped basil or parsley before serving if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Tomato Lentil Soup? Feel free to also browse the full “Vegan Soup” recipes archives on the site for more plant-based inspiration! (Or this other simple but delicious Lentil Vegetable Soup.)