This easy lightened-up Broccoli Cashew Stir-Fry makes a satisfying 30-minute weeknight meal! A healthy oil-free stir-fry with fresh flavors of garlic & ginger. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
Just 7 simple ingredients, and less than 30 minutes is all you need for this satisfying Cashew Broccoli Stir-Fry.
The idea was to recreate a lightened-up, whole food, plant-based version of chicken & broccoli stir-fry. Using tender, crunchy cashews in place of chicken brings wonderful texture and flavor.
Ingredients for Cashew Stir-Fry
- Fresh broccoli
- Roasted cashews
- Sesame seeds (for serving)
Quinoa is a great pairing since it finishes cooking about the same time as the stir-fry. Brown rice (also a lovely pairing) typically takes a bit longer to cook so feel free to cook it in advance or start it a bit earlier than the stir-fry.
If you have a favorite stir-fry sauce, by all means adapt the recipe to include it! There are similar flavors in this easy Asian-style Teriyaki Sauce if you'd like to give that a whirl as well.
Broccoli Cashew Stir-Fry
- 1 small onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 large head broccoli (10 oz. florets, about 4 cups)
- 1 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger (about a 1 inch piece)
- 1 cup roasted cashews*
- 2-3 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- Sesame seeds for topping
For Serving (Optional):
- Brown rice, quinoa, noodles, etc.
- Begin cooking your rice or quinoa if using. (Or do this ahead of time so it’s ready to go.)
- Meanwhile, thinly slice onion.
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, sauté onion for 8-10 minutes. (I use about 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- When onion is translucent, add garlic, ginger, and broccoli. Stir.
- Add 1/4 cup water (or vegetable broth), cover, and let broccoli steam for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Important: keep an eye on it and add more water/broth as needed to keep the pan from drying out.)
- Add cashews and tamari. (Start with 2 Tbsp. tamari and add more as desired.)
- Stir well and heat another 2-3 minutes or until broccoli is desired tenderness.
- Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds over a warm bed of rice or quinoa.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying this broccoli cashew stir fry? Also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try - your feedback is always very appreciated. Thank you!)