Easy lightened-up Broccoli Cashew Stir-Fry makes a satisfying 30-minute weeknight meal! A healthy oil-free stir-fry with fresh flavors of garlic & ginger. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
Just 7 simple ingredients, and less than 30 minutes is all you need for this satisfying Cashew Broccoli Stir-Fry! We’ve enjoyed it several times this winter so I wanted to share. The idea was to recreate a lightened-up, whole food, plant-based version of chicken & broccoli stir-fry. Using tender, crunchy cashews in place of chicken (or even tofu, tempeh, etc.) brings wonderful texture and flavor.
Quinoa is a great pairing since it finishes cooking right around the same time as the stir-fry. Brown rice (also a lovely pairing) typically takes a bit longer to cook so feel free to cook it in advance or start it a bit earlier than the stir-fry.
I think this is the only stir-fry I make without a separate “stir-fry sauce”. Both to keep it simple, and we find there’s plenty of flavor from the onion-garlic-ginger combination and light coating of tamari. If you have a favorite stir-fry sauce, by all means adapt the recipe to include it! (There are similar flavors in this easy Teriyaki Sauce if you’d like to give that a whirl as well.) Hope you enjoy!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make this! I love seeing your recreations 🙂
Broccoli Cashew Stir-Fry
- 1 small onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 large head broccoli (10 oz. florets, about 4 cups)
- 1 inch piece ginger (1 Tbsp. grated)
- 1 cup roasted cashews*
- 2-3 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- Sesame seeds for topping
- Brown rice, quinoa, noodles, etc.
- Begin cooking your rice or quinoa (or do this ahead of time so it’s ready to go.)
- Meanwhile, thinly slice onion.
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, sauté onion for 8-10 minutes. (I use water/broth for no-oil sauté method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic, grate ginger (peeled if desired), and cut broccoli into florets.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic, ginger, and broccoli. Stir.
- Add 1/4 cup water (or vegetable broth), cover, and let broccoli steam for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Important: keep an eye on it and add more water/broth as needed to keep the pan from drying out.)
- Add cashews and tamari. (Start with 2 Tbsp. tamari and add more as desired.)
- Stir well and heat another 2-3 minutes or until broccoli is desired tenderness.
- Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds over a warm bed of rice or quinoa.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this broccoli stir fry? You may also like this easy, 30 Minute Portobello Mushroom & Broccoli Stir-Fry!