A flavorful Creamy Balsamic Salad Dressing recipe made with hummus! It's quick and easy to prepare, plus oil-free. Drizzle it over your favorite salads for bold, delicious flavor. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, naturally sweetened.)
Upgrade for your favorite salads with this creamy balsamic dressing!
It's tangy, savory, and slightly sweet. Plus so quick and easy to prepare.
Adding hummus is a great way to achieve that rich creaminess. It's a perfect dairy-free alternative without having to use mayo, sour cream, or yogurt.
Ingredients for Creamy Balsamic Dressing
For this recipe you'll blend in a small high-speed blender or food processor:
- Balsamic vinegar
- Hummus: This is what adds the beautiful creamy texture. I like to use my favorite simple Oil-Free Hummus recipe. Feel free to use store-bought if desired (though these often contain oil).
- Pure maple syrup: This adds a subtle sweetness and helps to balance the flavors. Feel free to swap in your own favorite sweetener like agave nectar or vegan honey. Use as much or as little as you'd like.
- Dijon mustard
- Garlic powder: Or you can use one clove minced garlic for stronger flavor.
- White miso: This is a fermented soybean paste with mild umami flavor. I love using it in dressings to provide a deeper, more complex flavor. I highly recommend including it, but if you don't have any then simply salt well to taste instead.
- Italian seasoning: You can also add black pepper if desired.
Blender: I use a small NutriBullet which works great for dressings and smaller batches.
Herbs & seasoning: Instead of Italian seasoning, use your own favorite dried herbs like basil, oregano, thyme, etc. If using fresh herbs, simply pulse them a couple times after blending the main ingredients.
Adding oil: I prefer this without oil, but you can whisk in a tablespoon of good quality extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil if you wish to turn it into a creamy balsamic vinaigrette.
Leafy green salads: Drizzle it over your favorite greens like arugula, baby kale, spinach, or mixed spring greens. It pairs great with this Roasted Chickpea Salad with Hummus. (Or it's also great over a simple bowl of strawberry and spinach salad!)
Wraps: Spoon it on wraps for a unique flavor twist.
Grain salads: Toss it with various grain or bean salads (like quinoa, lentil, or rice) or even on a vegan Caprese salad.
Store leftovers in an airtight container or sealed mason jar in the fridge. I find it keeps well for about 5 days.
Find more ways to make your salads as delicious as possible! Browse more oil-free salad dressing recipes.
Creamy Balsamic Dressing (Oil-Free!)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 2 tsp. pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp. white miso
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Place all ingredients in a small high-speed blender or food processor. Blend for 20-30 seconds or until smooth.
- Taste and adjust flavors if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this oil-free creamy balsamic salad dressing recipe, also check out:
Follow The Garden Grazer on Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook for more updates and inspiration.
Leave a Reply