A quick and easy Garden Vegetable Pasta recipe with a tangy vinegar-herb dressing! Such a great way to enjoy fresh summertime garden veggies. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This is a great, easy side dish (or meal) when you have a bounty of fresh, summertime garden vegetables.
I really enjoy the combination of zucchini, tomatoes, and onion. But mushrooms, bell pepper, or other veggies would be fantastic as well.
Plus the leftovers are awesome, becoming even more flavorful after the vinegar-herb dressing has a chance to sit and get cozy with the pasta.
So it makes a great take-along cold lunch as well!
Ingredients for Garden Vegetable Pasta
For this recipe, you will toss together in a large bowl:
- Pasta of your choice: Use gluten-free noodles if desired. I use brown rice and quinoa fusilli pasta.
- Ripe garden tomatoes: Or substitute cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes for a bolder, sweeter flavor. You could even use roasted cherry tomatoes for even more flavor.
- Yellow squash
- Yellow onion: Or you can use red onion or white onion instead.
- Fresh basil: Or substitute other herbs like fresh parsley, cilantro, dill, fresh chives, etc.
- Fresh garlic cloves
- Red wine vinegar
- Dried oregano: If you don't have oregano, then dried basil or dried Italian seasonings work great too.
Vegetables: Add other veggies as you see fit or based on whatever is in season. Try red bell pepper, mushrooms, asparagus, etc. You could also stir in finely chopped greens like baby spinach, arugula, or baby kale.
Make it spicy: If you like things spicy, feel free to sprinkle on red pepper flakes to taste before serving.
Make it cheesy: Add vegan crumbled feta cheese or dairy-free goat cheese on top before serving if desired. Kalamata olives would also be a tasty addition!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep for about 2-3 days. You can either enjoy the leftovers cold or warmed in the microwave.
For more inspiration, also browse all pasta and noodle recipes.
Garden Vegetable Pasta
- 8 oz. pasta (gluten-free if desired*)
- 1 small yellow onion (or 1/2 large)
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 yellow summer squash
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (or parsley, etc.)
For the vinegar-oregano dressing:
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano (or other herb of your choice)
- 1/8 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, leaving al dente (slightly firm, not mushy). Drain when finished.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion. Dice zucchini and yellow squash. Chop tomatoes.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onions for about 4 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. broth/water for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Add zucchini and yellow squash. Stir and sauté 6-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- Add chopped tomatoes and garlic to pan. Sauté 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add cooked (drained) pasta to a large bowl. Add dressing, cooked vegetables, and chopped fresh basil. Toss to combine.
- Salt/pepper to taste as needed. Add a splash more vinegar, or more basil if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan Garden Vegetable Pasta recipe, also feel free to check out:
- Fresh Tomato Fettuccine with Balsamic and Herbs
- Balsamic Green Bean Salad
- Garden Harvest Vegetable Soup
- Summer Vegetable Chili
- Avocado Corn Summer Salad